Chapter 20

I love the band Muse. A lot, a lot. That being said, their song Unintended really reminds me of what is going through Kate's mind currently. As you will read, some of the song's lyrics are in the beginning of this chapter :-)

Chapter 20

'You could be my unintended

Choice to live my life extended

You could be the one I'll always love

You could be the one who listens to my deepest inquisitions

You could be the one I'll always love'

As Kate continued to walk beside Todd through the woods, sweet harmonies seemed to be playing through her head and caressing her mind...

'You could be my unintended

Choice to live my life extended

You should be the one I'll always love'

She kept glancing beside her at the man she loved numerous times. He seemed so calm and collected. Each time her eyes moved towards him, his eyes found hers at that same moment. They had a connection. But it sort of seemed like some part of her was trying to keep up with him, and Kate didn't know if that was metaphorical or realistic.

'I'll be there as soon as I can'

Kate didn't know what that meant.. 

'But I'm busy mending broken pieces of the life I had before'

Nor did she know the meaning behind those words..

'Before you'

But Kate did know what those two words meant. Before you. There was no 'before' Todd. Perhaps she'd had a life before falling in love with the man beside her, but it was nothing compared to what she had now. In fact, she hardly remembered the life she had before. And she didn't want to remember. She could dismiss it easily. All that mattered was Todd and their new life together. 

"Todd?" Kate suddenly asked, glancing over at him.

His eyes met hers, yet again. "Yes, my love?"

She smiled at the way he addressed her. "Um, I have a question."

"I'll answer anything for you, baby."

"Well, I was just wondering... Why do we keep walking?" He didn't answer immediately so Kate, not wanting to upset him or anything, decided to guess. "Is it because we're walking towards our new life together?"

Perhaps her words would sound a bit odd to some, but they were music to Todd's ears. He leaned over to kiss the side of her head. "But of course, my Katie. That is the exact purpose of this walk. We have to keep walking to get to a point where we can start our new life together, without interruption."

His words were meant to comfort and soothe her, but something caught her attention. "Without interruption?"

Todd's eyes shifted slightly, attempting to keep his cool. "Let's not talk now. There will be time later. There is a hill ahead of us. We need to preserve our energy for it."

Just as she could easily dismiss the life she had before, Todd could dismiss her questions. Perhaps there was something strange going on... But no, don't think that way, Kate instructed herself. There's nothing wrong with waiting for him to answer my question. He's right, we need to preserve our energy for the upcoming hill... 

Kate's speed increased a little, as she wished to ascend the hill quickly so that Todd could answer her question.

As her speed increased, her feet loudly rustled through the leaves and her breathing became more shallow and harsh.

She didn't know she had gotten ahead of Todd.

In fact, she'd left him altogether...

Up and up, Kate climbed the hill until, finally, she made it to the top. She stopped and bent over to catch her breath.

And that was when she heard it- a gun shot ringing through the air.

Immediately, terror swept through Kate's entire body and she instinctively looked up. 

It didn't take long to find where the sound had come from, for down at the bottom of the hill was Todd holding a gun in his hand. The gun was aimed further down the trail they had just walked. 

Her eyes went from Todd's gun towards the trail they'd made until she saw what had happened. There was a body on the ground. But that wasn't all. There were people! Real, living people! But they seemed to be fleeing the scene... They seemed to be leaving.

"Damn them," Kate heard Todd spat.

The people left her mind momentarily, and her terrified eyes returned to him. Right as she looked at him, his eyes moved to meet hers.

Todd Delozier looked to be completely psychotic with rage, which made Kate's eyes widen in fear.

The spell suddenly broke. Every memory Kate had returned with full force. The life she had before came thundering back to the forefront of her mind, and so did her pure hatred towards the man she was looking at.

Todd seemed to sense it. "Don't move an inch," he commanded.

Don't move? That was when Kate realized the advantage she had. He was a while away from her. This was her chance to break free! With great urgency, Kate began to run.

Todd's teeth gritted as he tore up the hill to get to her.

The chase was on.