29. Discoveries

Fourth Book

Late-November, 1994
Sixth Year

Ara Malfoy sat in a chair at the back of the Hogwarts Library, crying, while surrounded by rolled up balls of parchment.

Fred wasn't sure what to do.

The boy and Ara had been serving detention with Rosmerta every night for nearly a week now and Fred had originally walked into the library prepared to complain about having to go again tonight.

But, he couldn't whine with her crying.

"Ara," Fred began gently, apparently not gently enough though, considering that she had jumped at the sound of his voice.

"What the fuck, Fred," Ara practically yelled and quickly began wiping away the tears streaming down her cheeks.

Fred didn't take her angry tone personally.

"Why're you crying?" The boy asked, edging closer to the blonde, she paused and eyed the area she was sitting in.

The first task was quickly approaching. And Ara was stressed.

"I'm not..." She whispered lamely.

Fred raised an eyebrow before beginning to laugh.

He walked over to the girl, who looked up at him innocently with her big, blue, teary, eyes. He stood next to her now, but she didn't bother moving.

Fred crouched down to Ara's height and gently grabbed the girls cheek, caressing it. Nearly cinematically, a few tears fell from her eyes.

"Not crying?" He asked teasingly, "-What's this, then?"

He pulled his hand away from her face and gestured towards the tears that now adorned his hand.

Ara glanced between him and his hand.

"Sweat?"

Fred laughed loudly and brought his hand back to Ara's cheek, continuing to caress it as they spoke.

"Your eyes are sweating?"

"Yes,"

Fred smiled and nodded.

"Forgive me, but I don't particularly believe that," Fred said, very cordially.

Ara couldn't help but chuckle. She leaned into his hand and sighed.

"I hate Arithmancy," She mumbled, Fred smiled.

"You're crying over numbers?" He teased, Ara rolled her eyes.

"I'm crying over that fact that I can't help Cedric,"

"Diggory is a big boy, don't beat yourself-"

"Big boys still need help,"

Fred and Ara stared at each other.

"Is that so?"

"It is,"

-

Fred was out of breath.

Thank Merlin she isn't on the Slytherin Quidditch team. She's faster than all their chasers.

Ara was jumping down flights of stairs happily and sprinting around the castle.

She was also dropping all her hard work.

"Stupid girl," Fred muttered, stopping to pick up every piece of parchment she wouldn't notice was gone until it was too late. He almost regretted motivating her to continue with her Arithmetic patterns.