9. Hallowe'en

First Book

October 31st, 1991
Third Year

Ara, true to her promise, had not uttered a word to Adrian or any other Slytherin, about Harry Potter making the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

Although everyone had somehow managed to figure it out themselves, so she had no need to.

Having given the situation more thought, Ara had realized that it was actually quite unfair.

Mostly because she'd noticed, even though he hadn't said so, that Draco was incredibly sad he hadn't had the chance to join the Quidditch team too.

Along with that, Ara remembered how anxiously the twins, Cedric and Adrian had waited for Second Year to come around so that they could to be given the mere chance to try out of their respective teams.

Now, Harry Potter, was given a free pass to play as a First Year. Adrian and Cedric definitely wouldn't have been given that opportunity, no matter how good they were.

The boy had also been given a brand-new broom, which he hadn't had to pay for. No one ever so much as offered to get the twins new brooms, even though they were in desperate need of them. Much more need than good old Saint Potter was in.

Yes, it was quite unfair.

Ara remembered how the twins had barely managed to scrape up enough galleons to get themselves proper brooms when they first joined the Gryffindor Quidditch team. And well, technically they never had, but they didn't know that.

Ara and Cedric had joined forces that year, together they'd sneak just the right amount of galleons into the twins wallets so that they could afford new brooms without noticing the extra inflow of money.

Unbeknownst to Cedric, it had turned into a bit of a habit for Ara.

It's not like I haven't got money to spare.

"Ara, there's a First Year crying in the bathrooms, I think she might be a Slytherin," Nereza Zabini, Ara's roommate and Blaise Zabini's cousin, told Ara worriedly in the middle of the Hallowe'en Feast.

Nereza, unlike her flirtatious cousin, was usually a quiet, reserved, in-different girl.

Her family was not part of the Sacred 28, but they were respectable enough for Lucius not to throw a fit if he found out Ara was friends with her. To bad they weren't friends, perhaps acquaintances, but only because they were forced live together.

Ara didn't even really have anything against her, apart from the fact that even after three years Nereza seemed to be frightened of her most of the time.

I'm that scary, am I?

Along with that, Ara had a hunch that her roommate fancied Adrian and was a bit jealous of her friendship with the boy.

"I'll handle it," Ara mumbled to Nereza as she stood up from the Slytherin table. The kinky-haired girl nodded and made her way back to where she'd been sitting.

Ara sighed and walked out of the Great Hall. She made her way towards the female lavatories.

Upon entering the bathrooms, just as Nereza had said, Ara heard faint crying.

She groaned quietly.

On Hallowe'en night?

Not a moment of peace.