3. New Friends

Pre-Books

September 1st 1989
First Year

"Ara, where've you been?" Adrian Pucey asked when he saw the blonde walk into his compartment.

Ara shot Claudette a glare, signaling that she was not to say a word, and then looked back at her friend.

The older witch scurried off quickly.

"Around and about, I'm here now," She smiled, Adrian made room for her to sit next to him.

The pair were good friends, knowing each other due to their parents association.

"I can't wait to be sorted, I mean, I already know which house I'll be placed in, but it's still exciting," Adrian began chattering to the witch at his side, after he'd introduced her to all the other passengers in the train compartment, of course.

"Yeah, definitely," She agreed halfheartedly.

Ara was a nervous wreck when it came to the thought of the sorting hat.

What kind of Malfoy didn't get placed into Slytherin?

Well, with Ara's luck, it was her kind. She tried to calm herself as she absentmindedly listened to Adrian and a few more of his acquaintances talk to her about their expectations for First Year.

-

Ara, to her relief, and certainly her fathers delight, had been placed into Slytherin. She supposed she should've felt some pride, but she didn't. All she felt, as previously stated, was relief.

She sat beside Adrian, as he was so far her only 'friend' at Hogwarts and in Slytherin. The pair watched the sorting ceremony attentively and Ara made note of anyone who seemed interesting.

"Fred Weasley,"

She perked up at the sound of the name. The Weasley twins had already told her they'd probably be placed in Gryffindor, but then again, anything could-

"Gryffindor!"

Ara's thoughts were cut short by the sorting hat proving her wrong.

"George Weasley,"

"Gryffindor!"

Ara smiled softly as she watched the two boys congratulate each other happily and walk over to the Gryffindor table, side-by-side.

She didn't expect much from them, being in different houses and all, but they were an amusing pair to watch from afar.

-

"Ara, do you get this?" A hushed voice asked from behind the girl in the middle of Potions.

Ara quickly turned her head to look at who the question had come from.

Cedric Diggory.

Practically every First Year who liked boys had a crush on him and Ara could definitely understand why. Although Ara wouldn't quite say she had a crush on the boy, she could admit he was very handsome.

Ara quickly realized that the boy was clearly very confused by the Porion work Uncle Sev- Professor Snape, was explaining.

Ara did indeed 'get it', in fact, she understood Potions very well. Partially due to her godfather, the Professor, always quizzing her on his class subject when he came over to Malfoy Manor.

"Ara, what is the polyjuice potions purpose?" Severus Snape asked nonchalantly while at the Malfoy's dinner table. He reached for his glass of water as he listened to her answer.