16. Dementor vs Prefect

Third Book

September 1st, 1993
Fifth Year

"There'll be Dementors at Hogwarts this year so, keep an extra eye on your brother,"

Those words had been repeating in Ara's head ever since her mother had first uttered them. So, when the Hogwarts Express came to a screeching stop and the lights powered off, her mother's voice was practically screaming at her.

Ara stumbled out of her train compartment and told the Slytherins that she'd been sitting with to stay put.

It was nearly pitch black in the train due to the awful weather and the sound of rain pelting down on the locomotive was louder than ever.

"Lumos,"

Ara began walking into every compartment, making sure everyone was okay, and calling out Draco's name in the process. When she fell into the train compartment of a group of First Years, she took the time to teach them their first spell.

"Here, move your wands like this and say 'Lumos', so that you're not in the dark," Ara smiled when they preformed the spell successfully.

"Is this normal?"

"Are we going to be okay?"

"What's going on?"

"I'm not sure yet, but you are all in good hands, just relax until the train starts again," Ara shut the compartment door and hoped that she hadn't just lied to a group of eleven year olds.

She stumbled clumsily into the next compartment.

"Drac-"

"Ara!" Fred and George smiled widely, they both stood up to hug her.

They'd grown even taller over the summer. And certainly looked more mature.

"Are you two okay?" Ara asked immediately, looking the two boys over.

"Of course," George nodded. He and Fred's eyes fell to the prefect badge pinned on Ara's chest, they made a gross face.

Ara rolled her eyes and covered the badge with her robe.

"Stop it! Have you seen Percy, or maybe my brother?"

"Already planning on taking orders from Perce? What has the world come to," Fred shook his head, faking disappointment. Ara smiled and rolled her eyes.

She couldn't help but notice that he looked very good. Good enough to make her feel slightly flustered, which was not good, not proper, and definitely not a reciprocated feeling.

She pushed the feeling to the back of her head.

"It's part of the job description, unfort-"

Before Ara could finish her sentence, her whole body went stiff and she felt incredibly cold. Looking up at the twins, she could tell they felt the same.

"What's-" George was cut off when the compartment door slammed open.

Ara immediately turned around and felt her skin crawl, there, right in front of her, was a Dementor.

The hooded figure silently stood in front of the three Fifth Years. Ara felt her breath hitch, it was becoming increasingly cold, and increasingly uncomfortable, in the compartment.

Subconsciously, Ara stepped back into Fred's chest, she heard the boy take a deep breath and then step in front of her. He didn't dare to utter a word though.