30. Dragon Slayers

Fourth Book

November 24th, 1994
Sixth Year

Ara's palms were clammy and her leg bounced anxiously as she sat beside Nereza and Adrian while in the viewing stands for the first task of the Triwizard Tournament.

She ignored Nereza and Adrian's flirtatious banter, and scanned the crowd while waiting for the first task to begin.

I hope Cedric read that dragon psychology book I gave him.

Cho Chang, who sat in the very first row of seats, caught Ara's eye. The blonde, who undoubtedly looked like a nervous wreck, couldn't help but notice that Cho looked even more stressed then she felt.

"Guys," Ara mumbled, Adrian and Nereza quickly turned their heads towards her. "-I'm going to get a seat closer to the front,"

Adrian glanced towards the front of the stands, and upon seeing how awful Cho looked, understood why the blonde was leaving. Nereza was not as perceptive.

"Oh, want us to come with you?" The dark-haired girl asked kindly.

"She'll be fine on her own," Adrian mumbled, giving Ara a knowing look.

The blonde smiled thankfully before leaving her two friends alone. She could hear Nereza mutter something along the lines of— Why'd you saying that? We should've gone with her.

On her way to Cho, Ara felt a tug on her wrist. As she turned to whoever it was that had grabbed her, she came face to face with a broad chest.

Ara rolled her eyes while glancing up, knowing who it was before even getting a glimpse of their face.

"Are you okay?" Fred asked.

Despite the loud cheering around them, Ara had practically forgotten that she was about to watch her best friend face a deadly dragon.

"Well, aren't you caring?" She teased, Fred chuckled while shaking his head.

"Just checking," He mumbled, leaning in closer to the blonde so that she'd be able to hear him over the crowd. "-You weren't feeling like a third-wheel, were you?"

Ara rolled her eyes, before standing on the tips of her toes to reach Fred's ear.

"I hadn't realized you'd been watching," She whispered, "-Quite the stalker, aren't you?"

Fred pulled away from the blonde, looking nearly embarrassed. Ara gave him a teasing look while crossing her arms.

"Not watching," Fred corrected while leaning into Ara's ear again. "-Just, checking,"

"Very big difference," Ara nodded sarcastically.

Before Fred could think of something to say back, a whistle sounded and Ara was brought back to her anxious reality. The first task was about to begin.

The blonde glanced at Cho, who'd, out of anxiousness, turned the same colour as a Slytherin tie.

"I'm going to sit with Cho. She looks stressed," Ara said quickly, Fred glanced in the Ravenclaw's direction and nodded.

"Very noble," He teased, although there was a hint of admiration in his tone. "-Keep your head on straight for her?"

And yourself.

"I'll try," Ara smiled, she and Fred then parted ways and the blonde walked over to Cho.

"Hey," The Slytherin smiled weakly while sitting down next to the Ravenclaw, Cho gave her a nervous smile. "-He'll be fine,"