20. Accomplice

Third Book

June 6th, 1994
Fifth Year

One of the many things Ara disliked about being a prefect were the patrols.

Per a schedule, which was frequent to changes, prefects had to roam a few designated halls to make sure no one was sneaking around or causing trouble.

These patrols happened after classes, throughout the weekends, and a few times past curfew every night.

No one liked getting scheduled for past-curfew patrol. Unfortunately, on the night that exams ended, Ara had been scheduled to do one.

Before, Oliver use to sneak out whenever she was scheduled for curfew patrol and entertain her during the boring task. Sadly, that was no longer the case.

Half asleep, and alone, the girl walked the halls of Hogwarts, her wand raised, just in case.

She'd finished her last O.W.L. exam today, which had been for Defence Against the Dark Arts, with a heavy heart.

Perhaps Professor Lupin will come back next year?

The man hadn't done anything bad, or worth being fired for. He seemed to be enjoying his position and he was the most knowledgeable, and best looking, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor Ara'd had her whole five years at Hogwarts.

With a sigh, Ara shook her head. There was no point in getting her hopes up; she knew the Professor Lupin wouldn't be coming back. There was a known curse on the Defence Against the Dark Arts teaching position that wouldn't allow him to. Ara could only hope the curse wouldn't do anything drastic- like kill him. She shuddered at the thought.

It was clearly getting late, and Ara's thoughts were clearly getting the better of her.

She became even more aware of this when she could've sworn she'd heard someone running behind her, only to turn around and see nothing.

Ara stopped and raised an eyebrow.

"Peeves?" She called out, eyes darting around the corridor, "-Is that you? Because I'm not in my mood tonight,"

Silence.

"Peeves, I'm warning you, any funny business and I'm calling the Baron without a second thought,"

"You're no fun Ar'," A voice whispered into Ara's ear, the blonde screamed.

She spun her heel and came face to face with two ginger mops of hair. The Weasley twins. Fred looked ever so smug and George was cringing while rubbing his ears.

"Bloody hell Ara, you nearly popped my eardrums,"

"What are you two idiots doing out so late?!" Ara hissed, pointing her wand between the two boys. They both gave the pointy piece of wood an unamused glance, they knew Ara'd never use it on them.

"Well-" Fred began.

"Actually! I don't care, because then I don't have to get you in trouble for it, now go back to Gryffindor Tower before someone meaner sees you,"

"Ara, we came looking for you," George said awkwardly, the blonde gave him a strange look.

"What? Why?" Her eyes darted between the two boys, they looked nearly serious.

The twins were never serious.

"We need your help. It's Ron, and Harry, and Hermione," Fred mumbled, something about his tone made the girl across from him immediately feel on edge.