37. Mourning Causes Truth

Fourth Book

June 27th, 1995
Sixth Year

All Hogwarts students had been excused from their remaining classes of this term, and all final exams had been made optional. But everyone close to Ara knew that even if this hadn't been the case, she would not have attended lessons.

The girl had gone missing shortly after Cedric's body had been transported out of Hogwarts.

Well, she wasn't missing. She'd just locked herself inside her dorm, which was practically the same thing.

The night of Cedric's death, Nereza hadn't even bothered trying to enter the dorm. The Italian girl sat outside and, through the door, told Ara that if she needed someone to talk to, she had her. Nereza was joined by Adrian, who had said the same thing.

They'd been met with silence, of course. After spending the better part of the evening with their ears pressed against the dorm door, Adrian and Nereza had come to the realization that Ara had cast a silencing charm on the room. That night, they fell asleep while leaning against the blonde's dorm door and awaiting even the slightest sign that pointed to the possibility of their friend needed them.

The next day, Ara didn't come out for breakfast, which was very worrying, especially to Fred Weasley, who had no way of speaking to her.

He wasn't very welcomed in the Slytherin dorms.

That morning, Fred and Nereza had exchanged discreet conversation in the Great Hall during breakfast, during which Fred had demanded that Nereza keep an eye on Ara's mental state. The dark-skinned Italian rolled her eyes at this before informing the redhead that this was already the plan.

"We're both worried for her, you know,"

"Just wanted to be sure,"

Ara didn't leave her room for any other meals that day. Draco Malfoy had caught wind of this, and had attempted to coax his sister out of her dorm. Unfortunately, with no success.

That night, due to her aching back, Nereza had been snuck into the boys dorm to sleep on Adrian's bed with him. When she awoke the next morning and realized that there was still no sign of Ara, she had decided that the blonde needed at least some human contact.

For her mental state, right Weasley?

Although, after the night she'd had, Nereza didn't mind not sleeping in her own room anymore.

She and Adrian picked out Ara's favourite food's during that morning's breakfast and left the Great Hall immediately afterwards. They scurried back to the Slytherin dorms together, and reluctantly entered the female of the twos dorm.

The room was so unmoved that it was nearly disturbing.

Ara was covered by her duvet, and she hadn't bothered to acknowledge the fact that someone had entered the dorm.

"Ara?" Nereza began softly. She walked over to her roommates bed and sat down reluctantly. Upon feeling the bed shift, Ara turned to her.

Nereza was met with bloodshot, puffy, eyes, and waxy, pale skin. Ara's once vibrant face was harrowing and haunting.

She eyed the food in Nereza's hands for a moment before glancing back at Adrian. The male was in near disbelief, he could've never imagined seeing Ara's once put together self in the state she was in now.

Nereza and he had tried to speak to the girl, but had been met with silence. They left shortly after entering the dorm, due to feeling strongly unwelcome and clearly bringing up the wrong conversation subjects. Nereza had, out of anxiousness, said a few choice things about 'needing to get back to normal', while Adrian had begun to ramble about Cedric's old Quidditch skills due to nervousness.