6. Cradle Snatchers

Pre-Books

September 1st, 1990
Second Year

Lucius did not end up coming to say goodbye to Ara for her Second Year.

The house had been understandably tense since the whole Weasley-letter fiasco. So much so, that Ara could hardly wait to go back to Hogwarts.

She loved her mother very much, along with Draco. And even her father to a certain extent. But, she knew she'd feel a certain type of 'peace' (and belonging, no doubt) at Hogwarts that she'd never feel in her own home.

After her mother gave her a tight, long hug, and Draco gave her a similarly endearing embrace, Ara found herself hardly being able to wait for the Hogwarts Express.

"Ara," A warm voice called out from behind her.

The blonde spun around and was met with the face of Cedric Diggory. Who had somehow managed to grow even taller. Without a second thought she hugged the Hufflepuff tightly.

"You are a sight for sore eyes," Ara mumbled quietly, not wanting to let go.

Cedric laughed a charming laugh before finally managing to pull the girl off him.

"I've missed you too, serpent,"

Ara found herself laughing with her friend, as they waited patiently for the Hogwarts Express.

"Have you seen the twins?" Cedric asked suddenly, Ara's smile slightly faltered.

"Uh, no, I haven't," She mumbled awkwardly, remembering her father's anger upon finding out about her friendship with the twins.

"What's wrong?" Cedric asked, immediately noticing his friends change in demeanour.

Ara debated whether or not to tell the Hufflepuff what had happened.

"Nothing, my father just threw a fit when he found out I was friends with them," Ara joked, leaving out the major details of the 'fit'.

"Ah,"

The pair would always have a soft spot for one another. And due to that soft spot, Cedric felt himself getting increasingly sad for Ara, her father had always seemed like a strange man, not that he would know personally.

"It wasn't that big of a deal Ced, he's just mad I don't share his stupid, outdated opinions-"

"Who's mad you don't share their opinions, Ara?"

George came up from behind Ara, on the right side and threw an arm over her shoulder. The girl quickly turned her head towards him and smiled softly.

"And what might these 'stupid' and 'outdated' opinions be, Ara?" Fred added to his brothers question while tugging a lock of the girl's hair.

The blonde rolled her eyes and held back the smile that his juvenile attempt to capture her attention had caused.

"Nothing either of you need to worry your pretty, little, red-haired, heads about," Ara crossed her arms and looked between the two boys

Fred smiled and draped an arm around the girl. Ara now had a Weasley hanging off each shoulder. The twins had grown taller over the summer, although only barely, now being slightly taller than Ara.

"Ah, I always knew you found us pretty, darling," Fred teased.

In this moment, surrounded by people who undoubtedly loved her and were able to make her feel her happiest, Ara had practically completely forgotten about her father.