34. Payback

Fourth Book

Early-January, 1995
Sixth Year

Ara had been actively avoiding Fred since the Yule Ball; which proved to be far too easy considering the holiday break meant no classes together and Ara had sheepishly realized Cedric's golden egg was waterproof, which meant no more researching in the library.

"Why've I been learning Mermish if it's waterproof?! Just stick it in the bath, Cedric!"

The blonde Slytherin, who was dressed in her school robes for the first time in a long time, sighed softly. She knew she couldn't avoid Fred forever but the reality of that was truly hitting her.

It was the first day of classes since the holidays, which meant first period Transfigurations, which meant a seat far too close to Fred.

I'll have to stare at his stupid face-

"Excusez-moi!" A heavily accented voice pulled Ara away from her, frankly angry, thoughts.

The blonde paused and glanced around; the infamous Fleur Delacour was walking towards her. Ara raised an eyebrow at the French girl, who was smiling widely.

"Yes?" Ara asked politely, the two girls stepped away from the centre on the corridor to avoid blocking anyone's path.

"Sorry to boter," Fleur began, "But, I was wonzering if you knew anything about what 'appened to Francois at ze Yule Ball-"

Ara's face fell into a neutral expression and she glanced away from Fleur for a moment while clearing her throat.

"I don't, my apologies," Ara tried to walk away, but Fleur grabbed her wrist.

"Non!" The French girl shook her head, "-I won't tell anyone! I just want to thank zem, Francois has had zis coming for a long time, whoever did it deserves a trophée!"

Ara eyed Fleur for a moment, before shrugging.

"I'm sorry, I really don't know," The Slytherin lied with ease, Fleur wouldn't be able to charm the truth out of her so easily.

The French girl smirked.

"I think you do,"

Ara raised an eyebrow.

"And why is that?"

"'Ogwarts boys are," Fleur paused, "-Talkative,"

Ara, feigning cluelessness, shrugged. The cool blonde's smugness did not falter.

"I 'ave been informed that very few, 'ufflepuffs, are willing to do something as..." Fleur shrugged, "-Ravenclaws, apparently, would not leave his memories,"

Ara bit the inside of her cheek but kept a cool composure. Adrian had used a very impressive charm on Francois the night of the Yule Ball. He had made it so that the boy would remember exactly who attacked him, but be unable to inform anyone.

"Zat leaves deux 'ouses, Gryffindor et Slytherin," Fleur continued, "-Zis act of vigilance was trés cunning, something I 'ave been told Slytherins are known for,"

"Loads of Slytherins attended the ball. How should I know what they were all up to?" Ara shrugged, Fleur was very clearly amused.

"Tu es Ara Malfoy? Non?" Fleur asked, Ara raised an eyebrow, "-I 'ave been told zat you are ze Slytherin, je ne sais pa, leader?"