𝐁𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐃𝐢𝐞

A/N: PLEASE READ!!!

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING  for this chapter due to dark themes of  physical and psychological torture/use of the cruciatus and imperious curses. Please do not read this chapter if you are not comfortable.

Oh my heart it breaks every step that I take
But I'm hoping that the gates, they'll tell me that you're mine

Malfoy Manor kept an incredible amount of secrets.

That was made clear to Katherine as the following months passed. War was coming, that was for certain, and the home transitioned back into the main hub for all of Voldemort's followers. It terrified her. She could no longer roam freely around the large mansion without encountering one of the less-than-friendly Death Eaters, who would taunt and terrorize her when Lucius wasn't around. Bellatrix was the worst of them all, of course, and it made Katherine wish she would have escaped that night when Lucius kicked her out so she would no longer have to deal with Narcissa's evil sister. Not even the loud, vicious barking of Achilles could scare her away.

Christmas came soon enough, though the holidays weren't joyous occasions anymore. In fact, she was almost certain that Lucius had forgotten it was even a holiday. But on the bleak, snowy morning she woke up to a few wrapped boxes tied with a ribbon sitting on her vanity. As their relationship matured and the state of the world outside became more and more horrific, Lucius hadn't showered her with gifts and money in ages. How could he when his life was falling apart? Her hand reached out to grab one of the boxes, slowly unraveling the ribbon.

It was an oval-shaped locket made of heavy gold. Her thumb pressed the charm open which revealed a small moving photo of Lucius on one side. On the other half was a photo of the two of them together at the Quidditch World Cup, the first photograph they had ever taken together. Her finger ran over the picture as she stared at the looping image of her and Lucius laughing and smiling together. He looked so young, so unstressed, and so carefree. If only that Lucius knew what was going to happen to him. Her own face was almost unrecognizable as well, her flowing red hair framing her face as she gently batted Lucius on the arm.

She pressed the locket closed with a small sigh, setting it down on the vanity next to her as she reached for the next box. It was the smallest one, and as she opened it she found a diamond peacock statue much like the emerald dove he had bought for her last Christmas. Peacocks were a Malfoy emblem, she had even sworn she had seen one or two of the beautiful birds on the manor grounds. A peacock and a dove, Lucius and Katherine. There was a note inside the box like the ones he used to leave her.

"Katherine,

Happy Christmas, my love. I thought your little dove statue could use a friend.

With adoration,

Lucius"

Slowly setting the peacock next to the emerald dove that sat on her bedside table, she slid the paper underneath the other various papers that sat on her vanity. Lucius had never given any sort of thought into his presents before, it was always diamonds or jewelry, generic things. But this was a thoughtful present, something that was symbolic of their relationship. Smiling to herself, she took one last look at the shimmering peacock before making her way out of her room. Certainly there was Christmas brunch awaiting, and she wanted to thank Lucius as soon as possible.

As she headed down the hallway and towards the staircase she heard loud yells and maniacal laughs coming from the first floor. For a moment she contemplated heading back towards her room as there was obviously something going on. Curiousity eventually won, however, and soon she was carefully creeping downstairs, stepping as lightly as she could to avoid being caught. As she reached the landing before the second set of steps, she craned her head to see what was happening below her.