𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞

Masquerade, paper faces on parade
Masquerade, hide your face so the world will never find you

Katherine had never seen such beauty before. She held tightly onto Victor's arm, him leading her to the dance floor. It was a sea of rich-looking men and women, all wearing ornate ballgowns and tuxes, their faces covered by gorgeous elaborate masks. They clapped in unison as the group entered the ballroom, Lucius bowing and Narcissa curtsying at their guests.

Lucius stepped over to Katherine and Victor, pulling them aside. "It is customary that Narcissa and I dance first. After a few moments then you and Mr.-"
"Redferne sir." Lucius frowned slightly once Victor spoke his last name.
"You and Mr. Redferne can join us, then other guests will follow suit," Lucius explained. The two nodded in agreement as Lucius pulled Narcissa on to the dance floor where the partygoers had made a circle. The orchestra started playing an operatic tune. He placed his waist on the small of her back, leading his wife in a beautiful waltz.

Katherine couldn't help but feel that jealous feeling again as she watched Lucius dance with Narcissa. She knew it was silly, being jealous of a married man. If it were any other married man she would have scolded herself for being a homewrecker. But then again, she and Lucius didn't have a traditional relationship. No, she was sleeping with that married man, and his wife knew about it.

She was snapped out of her state as Victor pulled her onto the dance floor. Now it was the two couplings waltzing across the large space, Victor and Katherine trying to keep up with Lucius and Narcissa. As they made their way across the floor, Katherine would sneak glances at Lucius, admiring how dashing he looked. His hair was braided towards the side, this time tied with a golden ribbon. His tailcoat fit him perfectly and showed off his built figure. Narcissa looked beautiful next to him, her dress accentuating her figure. Her hair was in an elegant updo, with small pieces of hair falling in ringlets to frame her face. They looked equally stunning.

Victor frowned as he gently tapped the back of Katherine's back, her head flipping around. He smiled at her, pressing a small kiss to her hand as the song ended. She curtsied at him before she felt a tap on her shoulder. "Can I steal your dance partner, Mr. Redferne?" Lucius asked. Narcissa stood behind him, offering Victor her hand, which he took reluctantly.

Katherine immediately took Lucius's hand and smiled giddily as she was pulled to the dance floor. He smiled gently, leaning into her ear so he could whisper "You look stunning, love" into it. She blushed in response as Lucius snuck his hand around her waist, pulling her in close. The two moved in perfect harmony, Lucius twirling her every few steps. She was being guided across the large floor, and she could feel everyone's eyes on her. Every so often she snuck a glance to see Victor looking less than amused, Narcissa at least trying to make him enjoy himself.

Lucius suddenly lifted her up elegantly, twirling her in the air before lowering her in a graceful dip. The crowd clapped again, some of the guests rushing on to the dance floor to join in on the celebration. Katherine was then being pulled away by Victor.

"Oh, thank goodness you two are done. I missed my favorite girl." Victor said, beginning to dance with Katherine again. She just nodded in response, moving slowly with Victor again. She noticed Lucius and Narcissa leave the ballroom floor, following a strange man Katherine hadn't noticed before.

The orchestra paused for a moment to allow the guests to grab some appetizers. Lucius and Narcissa returned, offering drinks. Katherine took the champagne quickly, Victor wrapping his arm around her waist. A shorter man approached Lucius, grinning. Katherine couldn't see the upper half of his face, but his teeth were crooked and yellow. "Ah, Lucius Malfoy. Just who I wanted to see. What a glorious party, an amazing start to the new year." He laughed, walking right up to stand next to Katherine.