𝐐𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭

Next to me this frightened girl
Holding tight as the dancers whirl
Keep your nerve and see this through
It's what you've come to do

Lucius placed his hand at the small of Katherine's waist, his other hand taking hers. She smiled softly, moving her other hand to gently rest on his shoulder. The two moved slowly in unison, the pace of the song allowing them to make conversation. "Are you enjoying your night, Miss Farrington?" He asked, pulling her slightly closer to him. Katherine nodded.
"Yes, Mr. Malfoy. This party is wonderful. You truly outdid yourself." She said, taking a glance at Victor who was looking less than amused.

"Miss Farrington, how long have you and Victor been friends?" Lucius asked.

"Since first year, sir. I'd consider him my best friend. I remember one time, we snuck out in the middle of the night, and he took me to the Hufflepuff kitchens. We almost made ourselves sick on candies, you know being 12 we wanted to eat all of the sweets." She laughed.

Lucius hummed slightly, twirling Katherine around. "I see. His last name is Redferne, correct? I think I remember his parents from the war. He's lucky they're still around." He said coldly. Katherine looked confused, opening her mouth to ask a question before a faster song started playing.

Suddenly she was being whipped around in a fast, complicated dance. Lucius still had his hand on her back, but his other hand had moved to rest on her cheek. His rough finger gently brushed itself against her cheek, and she stared into his grey eyes. His touch was unusually warm and Katherine felt herself melt into his hand.

She was soon distracted though, by people staring and whispering at each other. She snapped out of her dreamy state and bit her lip as she continued dancing with Lucius. "Mr. Malfoy, people are whispering. And I can assume it's about us." She said softly. Lucius shook his head. "Nonsense, Miss Farrington. And if they are, let them. They won't dare say anything to our faces." He reassured.

She felt slightly comforted in his words, so the two continued to waltz on. Every once and a while, Katherine would see Victor stare at her in disgust. She, in turn, would stick her tongue out playfully back at him. Because when she was dancing with Lucius, nothing else mattered. She was his, even if it was just for a moment. Victor didn't matter. Narcissa didn't matter. She was enjoying the attention, his gaze, his touch. It was like he had some sort of spell on her, to make it so that every time she was in his arms she became more flushed and infatuated. It was clear to her that Lucius and Victor did not like each other, that she stuck herself in this love triangle between her best friend and her sugar daddy. She just hoped there would be no conflict between the two.

The song ended, Lucius lowering her in an elegant dip. Katherine stared up at him with her arms wrapped tightly around his neck, wanting nothing more than for him to kiss her at that moment. With everyone staring at them. It would be so scandalous, the most prominent pureblood wizard kissing someone 15 years his junior and very much not his wife in front of a whole group of influential people. Scandalous, but hot nonetheless. And Lucius looked as if he was going to do it. His eyes were blazing into hers, and he breathed heavily as he paused for just a moment. He leaned in close before whispering "Later, my dove. Not when people are watching." Katherine nodded as Lucius pulled her back up, the crowd applauding again. She looked around the ballroom floor trying to find Victor, but he was nowhere to be seen. She honestly didn't care, just one less person who would judge her.

"My dear guests, please enjoy the rest of your night. You are all invited to stay until sunrise. I, unfortunately, must retire for the night and tend to my wife who was feeling ill earlier. But first, a toast to the new year!" Lucius announced to the crowd, he and Katherine lifting their drinks to make a toast. The rest of the guests followed suit, toasting to the new year along with them. Katherine couldn't help but smile as Lucius's grip on her waist tightened, rubbing the fabric there slightly. Lucius took a sip of his drink before speaking again. "I do believe there is a fireworks show outside in a few moments. I'd suggest you all head into the gardens to watch the rest of tonight's festivities." The guests all began moving into the garden, the ballroom soon becoming empty besides Lucius and Katherine. The pair stood in silence for a moment before Lucius turned to face the girl next to him, taking off his ornate mask to reveal his whole face.