𝐒𝐞𝐭 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐚 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐧

It was dark and I was over
Until you kissed my lips and you saved me

It was a few weeks after the meeting. Things at the Manor had gone back to an almost weary normal. With Draco still gone for the year, she and Lucius had resumed their previous routines. But neither of them spoke of what was discussed at the dining room table. She couldn't tell if he just wanted to not think of it or if he didn't want to terrify her. Late one particularly cold evening, Katherine sat at a candlelit desk in the library, scribbling a response to a letter she had received from Professor Snape the day prior. She was wearing her nightdress, planning to go to bed right after she was finished.

Miss Farrington,
I informed Professor Dumbledore of your situation as a precaution in case things go awry. He and I, as well as the rest of the Order, know about you. I urge you to stay vigilant and smart about the upcoming mission. Do not speak of anything to Lucius. Elowen is doing fine, she did very well in her potions O.W.L. You should be proud to have such an intelligent sister.
Regards,
Professor Severus Snape.

P.S: Included is a photograph of members of the Order. Know you can trust them.

She breathed a sigh of relief knowing that her sister was alright and that at least Dumbledore knew she wasn't a traitor. She and Snape had regular correspondence, he would inform her of important things going on and she would give him any insightful information she had obtained through Lucius. It made her feel better knowing that deep down she was doing something good in spite of the bad cards she had been dealt. Just as she was finishing up her letter, she heard the doorknob turn. "Come in!" she called, fanning the wet ink with her hand.

The door creaked open and in waltzed Lucius. He was in his plush bedrobe, his hair pulled to the side to drape over his shoulder. Katherine quickly folded up the letter at his arrival, sealing it with the hot wax she had prepared on the desk.
"Good evening, Luci." she hummed, hiding the letter underneath a spare book. Lucius stepped behind her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.
"What are you doing up so late, dove. You know we have a very busy day ahead of us tomorrow." He murmured quietly, moving his large hand to gently run his fingers through her soft hair.

Right. Tomorrow was the day the Death Eaters were storming the Ministry. She let herself lean into his hand, closing her eyes with a soft sigh. "I can't sleep. I'm just a little nervous that's all. What if things go wrong? Lucius, you could get caught and get sent away to Azkaban, or even worse you could be killed. And then what will I do? I'd be all alone." she whispered, turning her head to look up at the man behind her. He paused for a moment before taking her hands in his.

"Katherine, that will not happen. You underestimate the power of the Dark Lord. I can assure you everything will go according to plan." he cooed, pulling her hands to lift her up so she stood before him. "And if it does, you will be safe here with Narcissa and Draco. You truly are one of us now, a part of my family. But please trust me. Do not worry your pretty little head." He pulled Katherine into a gentle hug, and she nuzzled him smiling to herself.

"Can I sleep with you tonight? I doubt I'd get any sleep alone in my room," she mumbled into his chest. He gave a small sigh, hesitating before nodding his head.
"I do not see why not. Get the desk cleaned up and blow out the candles, I will be waiting for you in my bedroom." Katherine pulled away from him as he turned to head out of the library door.

Sitting back down at the desk, she grabbed the letter she was writing before. There was a small tapping at the door, and she waved her wand to open it so a large tawny owl could fly in. She had named him Archimedes, a gift from Snape so she could discreetly send her letters to Hogwarts. He perched himself on the edge of the desk, Katherine rubbing his head gently.
"Hello, Archimedes. Can you deliver this letter to the Professor, please?" she asked, holding the sealed letter in her outstretched hand. The owl blinked before snatching the parchment out of her hand, wings flapping as he headed out of the window and into the night.
Katherine arose from the chair, licking her thumb and index finger before using them to burn out the candle. The flame fizzled away, leaving her in darkness. "Lumos," she whispered, her wand lighting up as she waltzed out of the library to make her way to Lucius's bedroom.