𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐞, 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐘𝐨𝐮

Breaking up is never easy, I know
But I have to go
Knowing me, knowing you
It's the best I can do

"Narcissa, we are not kicking her out. She pledged her loyalty to the Dark Lord, she has to follow through or else she will be killed. That is a fate far worse than living with your sister." Lucius argued. Narcissa just crossed her arms, shaking her head.
"Lucius you don't get it. Don't you remember? This manor becomes the hive for all the evil things that happen. She's not safe here. She's a smart girl, she can go into hiding or flee the country, or the continent even. I hear MACUSA needs profilers, a government job would keep her busy and give her security. Just please consider it. If you really cared about her, you would let her go."

And consider was what he did. He sat on his armchair, his cane in one hand and a glass of firewhiskey in the other. Katherine was sitting on the floor in front of him playing tug-of-war with Achilles. He admired her, how she was so playful and youthful and so damn beautiful. He came to the conclusion it wasn't fair. She was 24, she should be out at bars with her friends and finding someone to settle down with. Yet here she was, spending her days in the manor with him. Lucius felt he was so undeserving of her and the love and affection she gave him when he couldn't bring himself to return the feeling. But of course he couldn't let himself confess the real reason he was letting her go. He didn't want her to know that her safety was in danger, that she was about to truly see what he, Lucius Malfoy the Death Eater, was. No, he was going to lie and most definitely crush her heart in the process. 
-
"I cannot do this anymore."

Ouch. The words struck Katherine in the heart like a sharp arrow hitting the chest of a beautiful doe. She didn't speak for a moment unable to form a single strand of words that would describe the ache she felt in that moment. They stood in the front drawing room, Lucius pacing back and forth as Katherine stood in front of him.

"Katherine, this is too much. Too hard for me to do. I-I need to protect my family first, above everything. My own kin and blood. Things are going to get scary, get intense, and I simply cannot focus on you any longer."

Tears threatened to spill out of the young woman's eyes, but her bite on the inside of her cheek kept them inside. "What do you mean? Lucius, I essentially my soul to the Dark Lord. Not literally-but you know what I mean. And now you're saying I need to leave? You said you'd protect me! What am I supposed to do now, huh? If you have a suggestion on how I can leave and not end up tortured or dead because of my betrayal I'd love to hear it."

"You are going to run. Run out the doors and through the garden. Do not come back. I will tell the Dark Lord you are dead. Flee the country, go to the United States, or Russia, or Japan. Just anywhere but here, please. It was a grave mistake entangling you in this mess. I'm fixing it for you. You are free, my dove." Lucius choked. This was the last thing he wanted. What he wanted was her in his life forever. But he was willing to sacrifice his own happiness to keep her safe. And he hated himself for it, letting this young woman dig a place in his heart and his life because now he had her to worry about and he would never forgive himself if anything even threatened to harm her.

"I'm not...I'm not leaving, Lucius, I refuse and you can't make me leave. I made the decision to save myself so I'm making the decision to stay. " She responded, crossing her arms as she gave a defying smirk. Lucius narrowed his eyes, walking closer to her. His own eyes threatened to spill tears but he continued to keep a collected expression.
"I will drag you out of this manor by your ear if I have to. I'm sorry but this is over. Now get out of my sight."

She wiped her wet eyes with the palm of her head, letting out a small sniffle. Lucius felt a pang of guilt, but pushed it down inside of him. "Go fuck yourself, Lucius. Because I don't get to anymore. Don't write to me, don't come find me, if you're seriously kicking me out even though I did nothing to deserve this then so be it. We're done!" Katherine yelled before storming out of the front door of the manor. Finally letting herself let a tear fall, she slammed the doors, Lucius flinching as they crashed shut behind her. Katherine was alone, and she felt herself shiver as the cold night air hit her cheek. Achilles trailed behind her, barking at her heels as he trampled on the cool grass.