Epilogue

Alanna Sky Bauer

It's been a while since I've been home, I left my town with painful memories still intact, I went to college, I studied music and arts, I started working, I distracted myself more and more unable to face the reality I left, but now I'm ready, I'm coming home. 5 years had passed since I left this small town, my home, where memories were made, celebrated, and forgotten. I'm driving along what seemed like a country road, vast fileds of green stretching across the horizon, the cool breeze entering the convertible I am driving, as cinematic as it may sound but the sound of nature embracing me as I hark back through thousands of memories was ideally my most awaited moment as I thought of coming home. As I drive, minutes streched into hours and I decided to make a stop on the side of the road. It was a wide road with little to nothing cars passing by, on the other side I noticed a big tree.

Another untouched treasure.

I walked to the tree and as I got closer, I noticed a writing on it. As I read the carving my heart stopped. I was stunned. Written there was my name alongside Astrid's and then a message below.

"Alanna and Astrid, been here, hope you find it too" I read it out loud

As the words escape my mouth suddenly a tear fell from my eye, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A message frozen in time waiting, just waiting for me to find it. I took a deep breath and suddenly I see her face as I close my eyes, I feel her, I feel her soul, I feel her love. A message exceeding time. I took a sharp stone just beside the tree and carved a reply.

"I found it, I found you"

6 years after her demise, still she amazes me, still she visits me. 6 years had pass but it feels like she never left.

I entered the driver's seat and continued to drive, a few minutes later I arrived at home where I was greeted by my family. Ash has grown so much since I left but she's still the same sweet little girl Astrid and I always loved. Amarra, she has found her perfect half, finally she's happy. Dad, he has found peace, forgiveness, and acceptance, he still misses mom very much and he always says that no one can ever replace his one true love. I know that feeling, and I feel the same, no one will ever replace Astrid nor her memories and the lessons she has taught me.

"Hey, welcome back honey" said dad as he embraced me tightly

"Welcome back sis" said Amarra as she joined in

"Auntie!" Ash yelled out rushing straight into my arms

"How are you sweetheart?" I carried her in my arms and later put her down

"I'm good, can I ride with you later when we go to the treehouse?" She asked as she rubbed her thumb on the back of my palm

It was Astrid's way of convincing me into doing something she wants. My eyes watered at the scene. She taught her this, she lives in every single one of us, her love will continue on, her memories lives in us, though she's gone, she made a mark that no one could ever take away.

"Sure baby" I replied smiling from ear to ear

"Hey dad, I'm here to drop off my things, I'm going to the cemetery" I uttered

"Sure hon, are you going to be okay by yourself" dad asked, worry painted across his face

"Yes, don't worry" I replied

I left the house and went to the cemetery, there I found peace as the lingering feeling of sadness was swept away by the unending fondness I feel at the thought of her. I took my guitar before stepping out of the car. I walked towards her grave and a counterfeit smile was plastered on my face. I won't lie, I still am pained at the memory but I won't let it push aside the good ones she left me.