Special Chapter 2

Astrid Summer Flores

A

s the sun started to set we decided to go home before darkness covers the place.

I walked to our door and took a deep breath before opening it. As the door swung open I could feel the coldness of the atmosphere in this house, it felt as if it was colder than winter inside.

"Where have you been?" Mom asked

"Just out with a friend" I replied barely even looking at her

"Do you know what time it is?" She yelled at me

"A lot of times Astrid I told you to go home after class" she yelled again

"I'm home now" I whispered

"Whatever, go to your room" she scoffed at me

"Mom..." I uttered as I was climbing up the stairs

"What?" She replied in annoyance

"Has dad called yet?" I asked her

"Your father does not care about you, if he did, he'd be here so don't even bring up that man in front of me" she replied

As much as it kills me to agree, she's right. Dad only cared about Terrence. Back when we were little I wasn't really close with my dad, still he did what he could with me, treated me like his daughter, buy me toys, gives me attention but not as much as he does with Terrence, he always wanted a son, maybe that's the reason why. Mom's favorite was also Terrence, she wanted to make dad happy and when my brother came our family was as happy as they could get. Terrence was the favorite child, but it did not bother me because to him I was his favorite, his big sister. Then one day our lives changed forever. When Terrence died I remembered dad being so devastated that he refused to talk with any of us for weeks, he wouldn't even look at me, maybe deep inside he blamed me, well I do too. Mom drowned herself in work still in denial of losing her son, and me... I was left alone, I lost everyone all at once.

I waited until it was late at night before I snuck out of the house, it was quiet as if the house was sleeping under the moonlight's gleam. I walked out the door and headed to my car, the night seemed a bit bright with the moon and stars clinging on to the sky. I drove just a little out of our town, to the cliff where all my worries seem to settle beneath my mind whenever I'm there. I parked my car just beneath the foot of the cliff and I started climbing up as soon as I stepped out. The cold wind blew embracing me upon the night's serenity, I smiled, though pained, still, I smiled.

As my head turn from left to right I caught a glimpse of a person sitting near the edge looking up at the stars, I recognized the familiar figure, it was Alanna. I looked up as if wanting to see what she sees, suddenly, I caught a glimpse of a shooting star. I took out my camera and took a picture of the silhouette formed as the moon shine bright above this woman.

2nd.

Alanna Sky, you again.

Now I guess my reason is clear on why I suddenly felt like gravity was pulling me towards her. Because I have something she could never have, memories, and she's something I could never be, a clean slate. I wanna be like her, but for me I want to willingly forget, to drive my memories out, to start over again.