Chapter 24- Mom

Alanna Sky Bauer

I woke up to dad cooking in the kitchen, I don't know if this was my favorite but he keeps making strawberry pancakes for me whenever he got the chance. I was happy to have dad by my side, but what happens when I'm gone?

"Is that strawberry pancakes?" I asked him

He only nodded as he was consumed in cooking the food

"Dad can I ask you something?" I uttered as he looked at me and raised both his eyebrows

"What was mom like?" I felt my voice crack a little as I ask the question. I saw dad's expression went from smiling to looking pained by the memory, he leaned his back on the kitchen counter as he prepared to tell me his thoughts

"She wad the most wonderful woman I've ever met. She loves you and your sister very much, she gets you, she knows what you need, she knows what you think, before you even cry she'd already have the solution, she cooks our favorite meal every chance she get, she takes care of us no matter how hard it is sometimes, your mom was perfect, kind, sweet, loving, maybe that's why she's gone so soon, God needed His angel back" after all these years he describes mom as if he was still smitten by her. The look of love in his eyes still sparkling when he talks about her, he says these so lovingly you could see how great their love was and how painful it was for him to lose her.

507th.

Mom.

"Then I guess she's still looking out for us, but in heaven" I replied making my father smile

"Alright, let's finish this and eat before I leave" he uttered turning back to the stove, I smiled at him and started helping.

After we finished our meal dad helped me clean the dishes.

"I'll be home at 2 PM" he stated, taking his suitcase

"That early?" I asked confused by why he's suddenly going home so early when we planned the dinner at 7 PM

"We have to get groceries, and cook dinner, I'll get going I'm about to be late for a meeting" he replied before heading out the door

My dad started making up for all the times he missed, and caused me pain but it was still new to me. There would be times that I'd doubt his actions and push him away, but he would try so hard to understand me. I wanted to ask him why he shut me out, why he's doing this now, and why he's reaching out, but I'm scared that all of these would change again.

I decided to step out of the house for a bit. I wore a white shirt with denim shorts, finishing the look with my white sneakers. I tied my hair in a ponytail like always. Before heading out I brought with me the family picture my sister hid, my favorite picture of us.

I drove to the cemetery to visit my mom's grave. It's been a while since I visited her, I want to tell her all about Astrid, and maybe also all about dad. I may not remember her but the feeling of missing her always lingered around me, in the randomest of things I do my heart would always be reminded of her. I sometimes choose to ignore the emotions I feel because although my heart knows the feeling of her being there, it never brought back any memories, and I don't want to face her without remembering or even having a small glimpse of who she is.

Before arriving at the cemetery, I drove by a flower shop. I bought a basket of flowers, I don't remember neither the flowers she loved nor if she even liked them, but I still bought her my favorite ones, daisies.