Special Chapter 4

Astrid Summer Flores

May 2nd 2020

It's my birthday today... and I just want to forget, I want this day to cease to exist. Madison said we we're going somewhere today, it was new since I always spend my birthday alone in the treehouse just plainly waiting for time to pass by. I put on my pastel pink sweater dress paired with my white sneakers and headed out my room.

Mom's still not home. It doesn't surprise me anymore but maybe somewhere deep inside me I was hoping for things to change, for my mother's change of heart, that maybe someday she'd smile at me again, or maybe she'll love me again. When I was young I remember mom used to wrap me around her arms and plant me with tons of kisses, she'd braid my hair, she'd read me stories, I'd give anything to relive those memories. Then, Terrence passed and suddenly our whole world was turned upside down.

I shifted my focus from the empty living room to the door and headed out to the gate.

"Astrid!" Madison joyfully exclaimed while she gestures me to come faster

"Heeeey" Addy prolonged her greeting

As I walked out the gate both of them jumped on to me and hugged me.

Thank God I have them.

"You ready for your surprise?" Maddison squealed

"Yeah I guess so" I replied

"Let's go" Addy uttered

As we drove to the outskirts of town I had a gut feeling that we were going to the treehouse, but it was impossible, they don't know where that is. The moon's starting to appear lighting up the roads which seemed like a dark void, the stars are also beginning to shimmer up in the sky, it was a magnificent view and yet there was a sense of melancholy drifting around me.

30 minutes later we arrived at a familiar place.

I knew it.

We were at the treehouse, Madison and Addy were pushing me excitedly towards the place.

"Go on boo, we have something special for you upstairs" said Madison, pushing me towards the treehouse

"What did you guys do here? And, how did you know where to find this treehouse?" I asked in confusion

"It's a secret but you'll find out once you go look upstairs" Addy uttered

"Okay, but aren't you guys coming with me?" I asked them

"No, that's not for us, just go" said Madison as she giggled

"Alright, fine" I replied

"We'll get going, have fun" said Addy as they backed up from the treehouse and walked back to their car.

The place was decorated with all sorts of tgings and was lit up with fairy lights.

What is happening?

I climbed up the treehouse, at first I looked at the balcony but as I turn around I saw Alanna sitting on a wooden stool holding her guitar. Our eyes met and instantly my knees fell weak, my mind seemed to have froze along with my body, all I could see was her, everything around her looked like it dissipated and turned to dust. She was looking at me, I was looking at her and every other thing doesn't seem to matter anymore.