Chapter 8- Underneath the Moonlight

Alanna Sky Bauer

I wished for time to pass by slowly but I know time stops for no one, and eventually this moment would pass.

An hour went by and we decided to go back to the car. Astrid took one last look at the tree house before leaving, I saw her eyes sparkle at the sight of the place, it felt as if her memories on that tree house came rushing back to her. I wonder how that feels like, feeling something familiar and actually remembering memories you had of the place.

We walked back to the car before the sun went down and started to drive back to town.

"Alanna, there's one last stop we're going to make before heading home" said Astrid smiling at me excitedly

"Where are we going next?" I asked as I stare at her my eyes still filled with emotions I couldn't yet understand

"They said that there's going to be a full moon today, and I know just the perfect place to watch the moon" she replied with her eyes not leaving the road as her voice fills with excitement.

Moonlight filled the unfamiliar roads we were taking. As my eyes wander the road I realize that I am a stranger to this place. The feeling of being in a new place filled me with excitement. Not knowing what to expect, not knowing where we are or where we're going was an adventure for me now, I wasn't reluctant anymore knowing that I'm with Astrid and I can trust her, I can tell her my thoughts and I never felt like a burden, not even once did she make me feel like I was a mess that destroys everything close to me.

A few kilometers more and we arrived at a very large field only filled with grass. Looking up you would see the cloudless sky full of stars that's lit up by the moon as it also illuminates the field, the grass sparkled reflecting the light from the sky, and you could feel the wind dancing along in this tranquil night creating sounds as if it's singing to the earth. The melody of the wind embraced the place filling it with a sense of calmness.

Astrid parked the car in the middle of the field and squealed excitedly.

Astrid turned off the engine of the car and instantaneously stepped out of the car running in front of the car. I watched her in amusement before finally following her.

"I've never seen you so excited about something like this before" I uttered smiling foolishly at her

"I'm a moon lover alright? I'm a sucker for the moon, I love it so much because it brings comfort to me whenever I feel lost, it's like a compass that points me to where I should go, and where I should be. It guides me when the world turns dark and when the roads disappear along with the night." Said Astrid looking at the moon intensely

"So where is it pointing you right now?" I asked earning a glance from her

"Here" she replied as her alluring hazel eyes look at me, sparkling as it mirrors the moon above. She reveals her captivating smile, that made me weak. She looked back at the moon admiringly, unbeknownst to her that she was much more magical than the moon right now.

I smiled trying to repress my heart from beating so loud, and joined her in staring at the sky.

71st.

Here.

"Have you ever wondered how it feels like being up there? Just looking down, negligent of the world below you, no regrets, no pain, no fear, no guilt. Free from all worldly things, all you'd care about is shining brightly for everyone to see" said Astrid, eyes locked on the moon