Chapter 6- Understand and Know

Alanna Sky Bauer

I woke up and slowly opened my eyes with the warm sunlight gently hitting my face. My hand searched for my phone on the bedside table, I slowly lifted myself up to sit and turned my phone on.

7:00am

I woke up pretty early without even the help of my alarm clock. I yawned and stretched trying to fully wake myself up. I couldn't sleep last night which would explain why I was so tired, I spent the whole night contemplating on everything that Astrid said about my dad, and the one look she gave me that made me see her more. To me Astrid and my dad are like Russian Dolls, they're full of layers that you take off carefully while studying every detail put into each layer of it, and each layer would be different from the other.

I made my way to the bathroom and took a long warm bath. Thoughts of Astrid and dad once again kept running through my head but it didn't overpower my own mind, it was more bearable than it used to be.

After taking a bath, I walked to my closet to choose an outfit I'm going to wear. I rummaged through my clothes to find the perfect one.

Why am I giving this so much thought anyway?

T-shirt? No too plain
Hoodie? It's hot outside Alanna for f's sake

Oh this would do.

I put on my white ribbed button-front crop top paired with my caramel high waist crop cigarette jeans. I completed my look with my brown mid high-top outdoor boots. Heels would look good on the outfit but I'm 5'7 and Astrid is 5'6 wearing heels would make me look like a giant, so heels are a no-no for me, plus heels aren't really my thing and aren't fit for the outdoors.

After putting on my outfit, I looked at myself in the mirror and tied my hair in a ponytail.

This is fine, at least I look presentable.

I prepared all the necessities I might need during the trip and also brought snacks for the road, I also brought an extra pair of clothes, wouldn't hurt to be prepared right?

I headed out my bedroom door when suddenly my phone vibrated, I took it out of my pocket to check the message, it was from Astrid saying:

"I'm driving to your house now, see you in 15 minutes"

Before leaving the house, I noticed that my dad's car was still parked in the garage, usually he'd be gone by 7. An idea crossed my mind but I doubt he'd even appreciate it.

Astrid told me to understand my dad better so that's what I'm doing. I searched my school bag for a pen and paper and wrote my dad a note, I also took out a piece of apple from the refrigerator and placed it on the kitchen counter along with the note that says:

"I'm going out with a friend, have a nice day dad"

I was second guessing whether I should leave the note when I heard Astrid's car outside. I stared at the note before I decided to leave it with the apple and headed outside.

66th.

Understanding my father.

I saw Astrid leaning on the hood of her car looking at the road in front of her, her long wavy hair flowing on her back, her hands in the pocket of her front open cropped blazer over her floral skater dress, wearing her black leather boots that completed her look.