Chapter 2

The next day was just the same as the day before and the day before that and the day before that. Way too many people tried to make the Prince laugh and he was growing tired of all this.

In the beginning, it was amusing to watch how they made fools out of themselves and sometimes the Prince had found himself grinning on the inside but it never was enough to make him really smile.

A woman with black hair was standing right in front of the Prince and reached for his face. Her index fingers were directed at his face and were about to touch him to pull up the sides of his lips but her hands were grabbed fast by long pale fingers. Shock was written all over her face at the sudden movement of the Prince.

"Don't touch," he growled in a deep tune. The woman nodded scared and hurried out. The King shook his head and waited for the next one. A man in strange clothes entered and jumped around. Small bells rang as he did so and he was laughing like crazy. Obscure actions were made and he sounded nearly like an animal. Once he was moving on his knees and hands, making the sounds of a pig. Then again, he jumped around, sounding like a primate and hid under some maiden's skirt. The woman screamed and kicked him. He fell and rolled around. Some people snickered but not the Prince.

The man stood up and the door opened. It was the maid with the (H/C) hair from the day before. She was carrying a plate with fruits and a tray with two cups on it. She was not paying attention to the man that made grimaces at her and kept on walking. Then the man placed his foot in her way and knocked away her feet. Metal chattered and red liquid spilled all over the floor as well as the maid's closes. Guffaw erupted and the man fell back, rolling around laughing. Everyone laughed but it was cut off as wood scaped over marble.

The Prince was standing, his chair far from its original spot. Not one sound was heard except the mad laugher of the man on the ground. Steps cut through the silence like a sharp blade through flesh.

"How do you dare to laugh at something like that? Does your mind not tell you that she could have gotten hurt?" the Prince asked, his voice cold and freezing. Everyone looked to the earth, too ashamed of their behavior.

"Come," a now smooth voice ordered. The dark Prince held his hand out for the maid to take it. She whipped off the wine from her palm and then took the Prince's hand.

"Thank you, your Majesty," she muttered, an embarrassed blush on her face. Her hand was pulled from his as she wanted to bend back down to wheip away the rest of the fluid and to pick up the things that littered the floor. But Prince Loki's hand was faster and stopped her by grabbing her upper arm gently. He gestured for another maid to clean up as he placed his hand on the small of her back to guide her out of the room.

"I think it would be best if we ended this for today," the King announced as they left.

Down the corridor, then to the left and down the next one, then a turn to the right and to the left again. The Prince and the maid were hurrying down several halls till they reached a door that he opened. He allowed her in and closed the door. Green and gold dominated the room but ebony-black wood and white furniture accented the room's atmosphere. Her (E/C) eyes widened as she realized that she was in his chambers.

"Go and take a bath. I'll get you something clean to wear." Before she could argue, he left the room. Sighing she entered the bathroom and did as told. After fifteen minutes, she was done and got out of the bathtub. She wrapped a towel around her body and fixed her braids.

A knock was heard followed by a "Are you decent?" The woman opened the door, holding the towel tight.

"I am more or less, my Prince." The man on the other side of the door nodded and turned to face the door.

"Your uniform is laying on the bed," he stated, his back to her as she went to get dressed.

"I am thankful, my Prince, but you should have not done this. I would have went and changed in the evening," the woman said, pulling the fabric over her head. She shortly glanced into the mirror, checking if she was presentable as she realized something.

"Excuse me, your Majesty, but this is the uniform of a personal maid. I am only an easy maid with no status." The Prince turned around looking at her lightly shocked before turning cold as always.

"No. It is the right uniform. For the rest of the day, you are dismissed from work. Tomorrow you will be here before I leave for the "joke stuff" my father organized," he said. The woman with the braids walked to the door before stopping.

"I appreciate the new position but if it was given to me by pity, I would be thankful to go back to the kitchen. If not, I will happily fulfil my tasks and do my work properly." She stayed for a moment more till the Prince answered.

"I will see you tomorrow at eight here. As my personal maid," he stated. She left, leaving him alone with his thoughts. Why had he made her to her personal maid? It was not out of pity; he was sure of that but what else was the reason for his behaviour?

15.02.2021