Chapter 3

The next morning, it knocked at Prince Loki's door just in time. The (E/C)-haired maid stepped in.

"Aah, you are here. That's good. It is time to torture myself with awful jokes and bad humour," the Prince muttered. His maid muffed a short chuckle and answered "I understand you way too well. I see those people stand in the halls, saying that they will make you laugh. They don't come because of you but to show off that they may be able to make you smile, my Prince. They have forgotten what life should be about," she said as they walked through the halls.

"And what is life about?" the Prince asked, curious for her answer.

"What it has always been about, my Prince. It is about the people around you and about the chance of doing good. Your father for example, he is doing all this to see you happy again, your Majesty. He loves you and would do anything for you. The people that come to these halls on the other hand don't want to make people happy. They want to show off themselves to lift their reputation." The young man nodded.

"We have arrived, my Prince. Shall I stay by your side or shall I see you later to inform you about lunch?" she asked, pulling the Prince out of his trance.

"You may stay with me or else you may end up on the ground again," he mumbled, a light smirk on his thin lips. She followed him into the room and stood lightly behind his seat.

The next hours were filled by eye-rolls, face-palms and sighs of both of them.

"Psst, Prince Loki," the maid whispered. The black-haired man turned to look at her.

"How do you stand this. I would have run out after the first hour." The prince looked knowingly. As thin lips opened to answer, a deep voice rumbled.

"Son, would you please honour this woman's efforts?" the King asked and Loki whipped back around. The woman went on.

"What were you going to say?" a voice in the Prince's head asked. Shocked he glanced backwards. His maid had an innocent smile on her face but a mischievous glint sparked in (E/C) eyes.

"Doesn't matter," he thought. The maid nodded witnessing.

"I wouldn't have thought you were capable of communicating via telepathy," the dark Prince thought.

"There are many things you do not know about me, my Prince," she remarked. They talked for some more and the Prince got to know his maid. The young woman's name was (Y/N) and came to Asgard to work. Her family was not poor but had struggled at times. So, she had decided to come here to help her family. Back then, she wanted to be a healer but that dream soon faded by the problems of her family.

Hours passed and soon the last person left without success.

The Prince and his maid were on their way through the halls as something crossed her mind.

"My Prince, all these people try to make you laugh by telling jokes or by making fools of themselves but you are a prince and the God of mischief. I would like to know what jokes you made as you were younger. If I am allowed to ask of course," the young woman asked. She knew that she had no right to ask such things but still she did against better knowledge. The dark Prince looked down a moment, lost in his thoughts. A smile was hidden in his expression as he remembered one of the many jokes he had played in his childhood.

"Once Thor and I played in the gardens. He had to go and find me since we were playing hide and seek. At first, I hid behind a bunch of roses but then I had the idea that, instead of hiding, I could play a trick on him. I shapeshifted into a snake and slithered through the grass. Soon Thor came to the rose bush I had hidden behind earlier and looked for me behind it. As he turned back around, I hissed and since he was fascinated by snakes, he picked me up to look at me closer. I wrapped around his wrist and rushed forwards. As he stumbled backwards and as I was in the air, I shifted back to my normal form and tacked him. He screamed like a madman and I laughed like hell. It was a happy day and I like to think back to this day." The (H/C)-haired woman smiled at the imagination of the situation.

"You must have fooled him many times," she stated and the Prince nodded. Then an idea crossed her mind.

"What do you think if we played a trick on him?" the woman stated. Prince Loki's eyes shoot up and held shock in them. Then a mischievous glint flamed up in his eyes.

22.02.2021