Chapter 6

The moon shone brightly in the dark night sky. Stars danced over a peaceful Asgard. Everything was peaceful and in the middle of the staff wing of the palace, a young woman slumbered tightly. Her (H/C) locks were spread over her pillow and a single strand rested on her cheekbone. Long eyelashes rested on soft skin and full pink lips stood agape slightly. Moonlight illuminated her face and everything seemed like a refreshing night. It only seemed like it.

The sound of a bell being rang with much force broke through the silence and caused the woman to jump from her sleep. After a moment of sleep-laced dace, she noticed what had caused her to awake so suddenly. The Prince's bell was dancing rapidly from one side to the other. Without waiting a moment, she blew the candle on her bedside table on and hurried through the halls of the palace.

Bare feet patted onto cold stone till she reached the wooden corridors of the place. It was where the royal family and their guests stayed. The woman stopped at the ebony door that had green ornaments painted on itself and knocked. An instant later, it swung open, relieving an exhausted and unhealthy-looking prince.

"Prince Loki! You don't look good," she stated before regaining her manners.

"What is it you need from me, your majesty." The Prince opened the door wider to let her enter. After she stepped in the door closed, leaving the two alone and from everyone's notice. As soon as the door had closed, (Y/N) became aware of the extremely low temperature. It was nearly cold enough to see your breath even though it was summerly warm just a moment ago.

"You may have taken notice of the low temperature in here. This exactly is the reason why I called you here," the Prince spoke while he sat down on his bed. As he passed you, the cold came and went with him.

"My Prince, what is it you need?" she asked worried. It was not healthy for someone to radiate such a cold. Goosebump spread over her body as she now inched closer to the Prince. Her thin sleeping closes barely shielded her from the loss of warmth.

"I need you to take care of me. I can't go to the medics and no one is allowed to see me like this. Promise me to not tell anyone. You said it yourself; no one cares about me because I am me but because I am a prince. You said you were different. Prove it." Just as he was finished talking, he collapsed shivering on his bed, his skin turning an intensive blue and lines popping up on his skin.

Without thinking a second, she knew what he was talking about. A second later, a bright fire crackled in the fireplace as a thin layer of ice spread across the covers.

"Prince Loki. Please tell me what is wrong with you. I can only help if I know what caused your Jotun form." Her words were pleading as her hands shook his body not caring how freezing cold he was. The Prince remained stiff and so, she did what she had to do. Small hands turned a fiery red and the air above flickered. She placed them on his shoulders and the blue skin turned pale again.

"Prince Loki. What is wrong with you," she asked the now half-unconscious god.

"Ice fever," he breathed before falling into the dark again. For a moment, she froze in her movements. This was everything but good. Skin still burning red, she rolled the ice-spreading man to the side of his bed and pulled the covers back. Blue skin nearly froze together with deep green sheets as the woman sat down next to the Prince, pulling the blanket over them. The red color of her skin spread from her hands up her arms and over the entire body. Soon, her eyes were black and an incredible heat radiated off of her. Prince Loki's body pressed itself against her warm legs, causing the touching skins to turn back to normal.

That way they stayed the entire night. The Prince came back to consciousness a few hours after he had wrapped himself around her body only to fall asleep shortly after. Slowly his temperature started to rise again but it didn't mean it would last long. Bowls, cauldrons, mortars and bottling jars with different contents stood all around the room and partly on the free side of the bed as the sun rose above the horizon. Thick clouds poured out of the cauldron in the fireplace as someone knocked on the door.

"Loki, dear. It's me. You haven't been at breakfast and your father was not pleased that you act that way while we have guests." The maid's eyes widened. Queen Frigga knocked again and the young woman pealed herself from the Prince's gap. Taking a deep breath, she answered the door.

"Excuse me, my Queen, but the Prince doesn't feel well. He called me tonight and since then I took care of him," she explained, also giving a reason why she was wearing a nightgown. Her skin had turned back to normal thanks to Prince Loki's cold and her self-control.

"Oh no. What is wrong with him? Can I see him?" the Queen asked and tried to sneak a look into the room.

"He has a fever and is currently sleeping, my Queen," the young woman answered kindly. "Don't worry. I'll take care of him well." The Queen smiled kindly as she understood the situation entirely.

"I'll leave you to it then. If you need help you know where to find me." She was about to turn around but looked at her again.

"It may be wise to put on this-" she summoned a pile of clothes "- before someone else may come by and asks questions." The blonde woman winked and left. The door slid shut carefully before a low groan filled the air.

"Finally, you are awake, Prince. I was worried. Here, drink this. It'll help you to become healthy again," she told him, the clothes from the pile now covering her form as she ducked in front of the fireplace to put some of the liquid from the cauldron into a bowl.

"What is this?" the ill man asked skeptically.

"A potion I learned about when a friend of mine once got ice fever. He only survived because of this potion and it would be a shame if the Prince wouldn't be given the opportunity to become healthy again." A sarcastic laugh rumbled in the dark Prince's chest.

"Yes what a shame..." he laughed. "As if someone would mourn if I passed. I'm sure no one would even notice nor spare a tear for something like me." A shocked expression washed over the woman's face.

"I would notice if I was not able to keep you company in those boring hours in the throne room." A chuckle escaped her lips and a small smile crossed the prince's face.

"Also, who else should I serve? I'm sure Prince Dökkur would be more than exited to have me as his personal maid." Again, a chuckle filled the room but it was a little hollow at the thought of the Prince's behavior the other day.

"Now drink. I promise it's not poisoned and will help you to recover soon."

15.03.2021