Chapter 8

The next morning, the maid and the Prince made their way towards the throne room like so often. It was like usual and soon boring jokes followed one another. The two were not paying attention to who was doing what but talked happily.

"I wanted to tell you something after yesterday," the Prince stated and the woman froze slightly.

"What is it, my Prince?" she questioned. Her form was still stiff and uncomfortable.

"Where did you learn to swim? I never saw someone jump into the deep, hot water like a this and swim so easily." It was true. The water she had jumped into was nearly cooking and many people would not have been abled to cope, nor enjoying it.

"...Let me note that there are still things that you do not know about me," she replied. A smile tucked on the Prince's lips and he could not fight it taking over his face.

"The Prince smiles!" someone called and all eyes were on him. His muscles straightened and the cold look returned to his face. Shocked, the maid focussed on who was standing in the middle of the room. Prince Dökkur wore a proud smile on his face.

"It looks like my son succeeded in what was considered impossible," the King of Niflheim stated.

"What? No! He was not- I wasn't-" The Prince tried to voice his protest properly.

"I did not smile because of him," he finally said.

"Why did you do it then?" King Odin asked. Now the God of lies was stuck. If he told the truth, he would anger the king, his father, and the regent of Niflheim and so cause a war.

"I- I remembered something," he lied trying not to cause trouble.

"Still, he smiled while it was my turn to try it so his hand is now mine," the caramel-brown haired Prince stated.

"Father," Prince Loki warned. This could not really happen.

"Loki, it appears like Prince Dökkur is right. I promised that the first one who could make you laugh, would get your hand and since you smiled while it was his turn, you are going to marry him." The black-haired man paled even more as reality hit him.

--- Time Skip ---

Prince Loki walked up and down the room, his mind, body and soul restless. A furious scream filled the air and papers littered the floor an instant after.

"My Prince," his maid said softly. "Please calm down and think it through." The man paused and turned to stare at her.

"There is no way out of this," he yelled and slumped down into the armchair.

"There is always a way out," she replied softly and walked up to him.

"Let it think us through. What are the conditions of this agreement?" she asked kneeling on the ground before him.

"I have to marry the person who was the first to make me laugh since my father gave his promise."

"And you can't say that you smiled because of a conversation that you were having with me because elsewise you could cause a violent confrontation between Asgard and Nefilheim..." she added serious.

Hours passed and they were close to turning crazy. It looked like there was no way out of this.

"Loki?" a honeyed voice asked. Two heads turned to find the Queen peeking into the room.

"Mother," he breathed and walked over to the woman with the golden locks. She opened the door wider and embraced him into a tight hug.

"What is it, my son? I see you are healthy so why didn't you show up for lunch?" she asked worried. The frustration and distress were verry present in the air.

"Prince Dökkur," the Prince stated, walking up and down the room again. For a moment the room fell silent again and only the pacing of the young Prince could be heard.

"So, it is true. But answer me one thing, did he make you smile or was it like you said?" she asked, a frown on her face. Loki stopped and looked to his maid through the corner of his eyes. She had her head down, showing that she was not going to recall anything of this conversation later on.

"No... to both," he finally gave in. His voice was small and a little sheepish. Queen Frigga smiled at him knowingly but for him to answer her unspoken question.

"I was indeed remembering something and had a conversation that no one else knew about and her reply caused me to smile," he stated, a blush crawling up his neck and towards his cheeks. The Queen chuckled.

"Oh Loki, it is indeed funny what you get yourself into when you don't pay attention," she stated with a laugh edged into her voice.

"But the consequences are serious, son. I see why you did not give away the real reason but we have to get this fixed."

28.03.2021