Chapter 16

One week after the entire accident, the wound had healed again and the woman was waking more and more. It was one late morning, that she was awake completely. The Prince was reading a book as she laid on his chest, their legs tangled and her arms around his abdomen.

At first, she noticed the pleasant cold that pressed against her skin. Then, she felt the soft sheets that felt so very familiar but still confusing alien as they rested ever so slightly on her body. Then, she felt fingers running through her hair and her senses thrilled in alert.

Eyes flew open and tried to take in the surrounding. Parts of green, dark wood and gold filled her sigh as her vision flickered along the bed she was laying in. Beyond the sea of deep green, silken sheets, accented with golden details, laid a majestic residencial room and panic filled her as she remembered the last moments.

Blood spilling from his neck and pain erupted from her side before she blacked out. Then the darkness... Was that some kind of spell that had captured her? Did she not kill this man, that happened to be the murderer of her older sister? And if she did, was this death that now toyed with her like a cat?

Before she could think about it even longer, a hand was placed in her vision. Its skin was blue and characteristic lines rimed its shape.

"Loki," she breathed and the hand in her hair stilled.

"Loki," she said now a little louder and she could hear the heart that pounded under her ear pick up its pace.

"You are awake," he concluded and a hint of sadness lingered in his voice as he finally spoke.

"Are we dead?" she asked, not able to keep her question unspoken.

"What? No... but you were near it," he breathed so lowly that one could overhear it easily.

"What happened?" she questioned again, only slowly catching up as her headache worsened.

"You were poisoned and nearly died because you were burning too bright to get rid of it. It took days till it was gone and it was now a week till the wound has healed..." he explained and it was not until now that she really noticed the position, they were in. With wide eyes, she untangled her limps from him and held the sheets close to herself.

Then, rage crashed back onto her like weeks ago.

"You damn oaf! How do you DARE TO GET IMPRISONED BY THIS ASS THAT WE HAD FREED YOU FROM ONLY A MONTH AGO?! HOW DARE YOU TO BRING ME HERE AND TELL ME WHAT HAD HAPPENED WITHOUT ONCE; ONLY ONCE GIVING ME A REAL REASON AS TO WHY I AM NOT IN THE HEALING WING!? How do you dare to make me believe that you would keep your promises towards me; that you would come back safe and sound? How did you get me to give in to staying and not making sure that your royal ass does not get itself killed or anything like that...? What a fool have I been?" she asked, her words fading into a whisper.

Sadness and hurt replaced the anger and the raven-haired god could not resist his urge anymore. He lunged forwards and pulled the sweltering female into a tight hug that left them both crumbling. Boiling tears mixed with freezing ones and together turned their skins back to their flesh color.

"I am sorry," a deep voice rasped over and over again as the two held each other tight. In the last year, they had grown so very close that it hurt them beyond words to have to face the potential loss of the other.

"Don' you dare to ever do that again," his former maid threatened and brought a smile onto the Prince's face.

06.06.2021