Stage Fright

The episode starts off with Amy waiting outside Sonic's hut, knocking the door and waiting impatiently. "C'mon Sonic, I've been waiting for ten minutes! Where are you?!" Without her noticing, Tails walked up behind her and tapped her shoulder, making her slightly jump. "Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you. It's just, I was wondering why you were here." He stated. Amy straightened herself up and replied, "Hey Tails. I was just waiting to see Sonic. He said he was gonna hang out with me today, but he isn't answering for some reason. And you didn't scare me! I just jumped to...confuse you! Yeah, that's it." Tails gave her a skeptic look but decided to follow along with it. "Well you won't find him here. He told me earlier that he was going out for a little exploration. But I'm surprised he hasn't come back yet. He doesn't usually take this long to explore the island." They both scratched their heads and thought about where Sonic could have been. Their thoughts were interrupted however, by the sound of something they hadn't heard before. "What's that sound? Can you hear it too Tails?" Amy asked. Tails nodded and stepped down from Sonic's porch.

"It sounds like an acoustic guitar."

When they finally picked up where the sound was coming from, they decided to follow the source. After a while, they could also hear something like a person singing, very beautifully. This only intrigued them more and made them REALLY want to find the source of this music. They kept searching, until Amy picked up where the sound was coming from: behind a small bush in the middle of the forest. She walked over and peered through it to investigate, only to see something she really didn't expect.

"Oh my Chaos."

The sound was Sonic, playing an acoustic guitar and singing in a beautiful voice. Amy was stunned. She figured that he would be a good guitarist, but she didn't expect Sonic to have such an amazing singing voice in the slightest. When Tails spotted her, he jogged up to her and was also shocked to see Sonic playing guitar and singing. "Wow, he's-" Amy covered Tails' mouth and shushed him, not wanting Sonic to find out that they were spying on him. As he played, Amy lovestuckingly stared at him, starting to fall victim to his beautiful voice. It was at this moment that Sonic was coming to the climax of his song.

~There is no way to stop me from going to the very top.
It doesn't matter who is wrong or who is right~

Sonic was taken by surprise when he heard the sound of clapping coming from behind him. When he noticed that it was Amy and Tails, he quickly hid his guitar behind his back and pretended that he wasn't playing it. "Did you guys hear all of that?" Amy and Tails shook their heads. "Nope, but what we did hear was amazing! I didn't know you could sing like that!" Amy replied and she walked closer to Sonic, causing him to take a few steps back. "Th-that wasn't my voice! That was, uh...." Sonic found that he couldn't find a proper excuse, so he decided to just give in and tell the truth. "*Sigh* alright, I'll admit it...I've been lying about going out on adventures to practice playing my guitar. I...also sing..a bit, sometimes." Amy's eyes widened. "A bit? Your voice is beautiful! Why haven't you told us about this before? Do you know how much attention you would get if you shared this to other people?" Sonic was silent for a bit, until he finally answered. "Because I'm self conscious about it. I mean, what would Eggman think if he caught me singing? He'd think I'm a total wimp!" Sonic then turned his back, not wanting Amy to she him blushing. But Amy noticed anyway and stood in front of him. "C'mon, Eggman? I highly doubt he would ever find out about it, Sonic. Seriously though! You need to share this with other people! But how are we gonna do it?" Tails decided to intervene, as he was feeling a bit left out of the conversation.

"How about we put on a concert? That way multiple people can find out about this!"

Sonic's face changed from embarrassed to worried. He didn't want to sing in front of anyone. What would they think of him? But before he could reject, Amy placed a hand over his mouth and answered for him. "That'd be awesome! I'm sure the other residents would love to hear your singing Sonic! Oh, but first we need to get things ready!" With that, Amy hurriedly made her way back to her hut to prepare for the concert, closely followed by Tails. Sonic, however, stayed where he was. He couldn't sing in front of anyone, not in his whole life. He would never reveal the real reason why though, as he thought it made him look like a total wimp. He looked at his feet and thought, "I can't do this, I'll make a fool of myself! But...I don't wanna disappoint Amy......I'm gonna do it, for her." He then took his guitar from behind his back and looked at it. He sighed when he realized what he just got himself into.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene transitions to an empty stage and then to a line of residents waiting to get their access card for the show. They were lining up in front of a ticket booth, waiting for Knuckles and Sticks to give them their card. inside the booth, Sticks was thinking bout how the show was gonna go. "What's so special about this 'concert' anyway? I don't even know what singing is!" Knuckles then turned to her and replied, "It's so people can be entertained! Singing is a very popular form of entertainment. At least, that's what I heard, since I'm not allowed to sing." Knuckles then pulled a sad face and was comforted by Sticks as she put a hand on his shoulder.

The scene then transitions again to the actual stage and then to Sonic peeking at the crowd from behind the stage curtain. He had an expression of nervousness on his face. "Heh, that's uh...that-that's a lot of people." He was surprised when he heard Amy reply to him from behind. "Of course it's a lot of people! Almost everyone of the island came to see you sing! This shows you how much they're interested!" Amy then noticed that Sonic looked very uneasy about something. She walked closer to him and asked, "Why do you looked so scared? I thought you liked the attention." Sonic looked at her, then back to the crowd and back to Amy again before replying. "I...I have..." Amy started to grow impatient. "C'mon Sonic, just tell me!" Sonic clenched his fists and took a deep breath. "I have stage fright! There, I said it. You happy?" Amy was slightly offended by his words, but thought about what he said for a second. Sonic the Hedgehog? Having stage fright? She almost didn't believe him. But she thought 'why would anyone lie about having stage fright?' To her surprise, Sonic continued. "I get so frightened when someone asks me to sing for them; I start to choke up and I just freeze. I...I can't do this!" Sonic then started to panic and pase back and forth. Amy stopped him in his tracks and tried to calm him down.

"Calm down Sonic! I'm sure everything will be fine! I mean, what's the worst that could happen?"

A loud explosion was heard from the front of the stage, making Sonic and Amy jump slightly. They looked from behind the curtain to see Eggman launching another attack on the citizens of the island. Sonic looked at Amy with an annoyed look and Amy sheepishly smiled. Eggman then stopped terrorizing the citizens and spoke. "I know you're here Sonic! Where are you? Show yourself and I won't attack anymore!"

"Right behind you Eggbreath."

Eggman turned around to Sonic standing on the stage smirking. Eggman then descended from the sky and hopped out of his Eggmobile. He walked over to Sonic and looked down on him. "I had a new robot created, but you didn't even bother to show up! Why's that huh?" Sonic didn't remember anything abut Eggman building another robot, until the idea of him practicing playing his guitar came to mind. He looked up to Eggman and saw that he was waiting for an answer. "Uh, I was...hanging out with Amy and-" "No you weren't! Knowing you you were probably off playing that guitar of y-" Sonic quickly covered Amy's mouth and tried to shush her too, obviously not wanting Eggman to know about his secret. But Eggman already heard what Amy said and became curious. "Guitar? I didn't know you play guitar." "I don't! She was just lying!" He gritted his teeth. "Right Amy?" Amy remembered what Sonic said earlier that day about not wanting Eggman to know, so she quickly nodded her head and agreed. "Y-yeah! It's not like he can sing eith-" She quickly covered her mouth when she realized what she had just said. Sonic then started to panic again, worried that Eggman was gonna laugh in his face. But instead of laughing, Eggman looked intrigued. "I didn't know you had such talents hedgehog. Tell you what, I wanna hear you sing. If you preform for me, I won't attack more then I already have." Sonic gulped and looked at the crowd, who were also waiting to hear him sing. He took a deep breath and finally answered. "Alright. Go...sit down or something..." Eggman did as the hedgehog requested and sat himself down in the front row. Sonic again looked at the crowd and swallowed hard. He walked over to the microphone that stood in the middle of the stage and swung his guitar round to his front. He took hold of the microphone and took a deep breath, trying his best not to pass out in front of everyone. But when he tried to sing, nothing came out. He opened his eyes to look at the crowd and he froze. His stage fright was starting to kick in and he knew it, so he tried to stay stable and conjure up his voice.

~Uh...I-it doesn't...doesn't mat-matter now...what-what h-happens...uh..I-I will-~

Sonic then started to hear whispers and murmurs coming from the crowd. The whispers soon turned into conversations, and then into retorts and yells. All Sonic could hear were complaints and people yelling for an actual performance, rather then this 'money scam' that they were witnessing. All this shouting made Sonic even more nervous and scared. He started to breath faster and panic even more then earlier. Amy noticed this from behind the curtain and ran up to him to try and calm him down. "Sonic, calm down! Panicking won't get you anywhere!" Sonic started to calm down after that, but he was still very nervous. "B-but my stage fright...I can't do this!" Amy then thought about it for a second. It was true that Sonic couldn't sing in front of a crowd (or anyone in fact) but there had to be something they could to so the crowd didn't start a riot. Then Amy got an idea. She leaned closer to Sonic and whispered her idea into his ear. "What? But you don't even know the lyrics! How can you-" Amy interrupted him. "I've been reading over the lyrics while you were practicing. I overheard the tune as well, so I know it backwards and forwards. Trust me, this will go well." Sonic was hesitant for a bit but finally answered. *Alright. I hope this works" With that, Amy violently tapped the microphone to shut everyone up. They indeed shut up and covered their ears. Then Amy spoke.

"Okay, change of plans. Since Sonic is...unable to sing alone, we've decided that this is going to be a duet instead."

The crowd stared at them with confused faces, but they sat back down none the less and awaited their performance. Amy signaled Sonic to start playing his guitar, and so he did. He started running his fingers down the guitar and play a melody, which made the audience 'oooooh' in amazement. When the time came for the vocals, Amy did her best to sing the lyrics. And fortunately or her, her voice was good enough for her to receive a light cheer from the crowd. As Sonic listened to her sing, he was mesmerized by her angelic voice. Something about it sounded so light and heavenly, and it was putting him in a trance. That was, until his part of the song came in. He swallowed again and tried to build his voice up so it actually came out this time. But instead of saying nothing, he actually heard something. He was singing along to the melody, and he wasn't freaking out or anything. And by the sounds of it, he was singing very good as he soon heard more light cheers coming from the crowd. This boosted his confidence by a huge amount, and so when the time came for both of theme to sing, he didn't show any signs of nervousness. Instead, he sang with confidence and passion, causing the crowd to simply watch and listen in amazement.

~It doesn't matter now what happens, I will never give up the fight. There is no way I will run away from, all of my frights. Long as the voice inside me says go I will, always keep on running. There is no way to stop me from going to the, very top. It doesn't atter, who is wrong or who is right.~

Sonic then played the final chords on his guitar, finishing with a triumphant strum. When everything was done, there was a short pause before the whole crowd (including Eggman) stood up and cheered and clapped. It was clear that they were all entertained by their performance, and that it was a very different outcome from the first time. All of this applaud made both Sonic and Amy smile in delight. They looked at each other and hugged, happy with the feedback they were getting. *Wow Amy, I didn't know you could sing like that." Amy smiled. "Same to you." They both then started staring into each others eyes for a few seconds, until the sound of Sticks' voice interrupted them. "Huh?" they both said in unison.

"This is worse then the robot apocalypse! SOMEONE HELP ME! GET ME AWAY FROM THIS MONSTER!"

Everyone was confused for a moment, until they heard the sound of Knuckles singing, very badly. Everyone except Sonic and Amy covered their ears and started running around just like Sticks. Knuckles then walked closer to the crowd's area, still singing horribly. The episode ends with Sonic and Amy shrugging and laughing.