Chapter Twenty-Seven: What You Do Know

"Julie and I were thinking we'd start with 'Stand Tall'." Luke told us. The four of us stood around the piano while Julie was filling her family in on the situation.

"Perfect." Alex agreed. I nodded.

"Sounds good." Reggie said dryly.

"Sounds good?" Luke questioned. "Dude, wake up! I wanna hear, 'it sounds awesome'! I know this isn't how we wanted things to turn out, but we gotta be all in tonight! This is our second chance at playing the Orpheum, and this time Delilah is with us, just like it always should have been!" 

"I...I get it, I get it," Reggie told him, "But its hard. Do we even know what's on the other side when we cross over?" I looked down at my feet. "Do we all still get to hang together? We already aren't sure if we're losing Delilah, but...you guys are the only family I have." I put a hand on his face in response, turning his head towards me so that I could stand on my toes and press a slow, comforting kiss to his lips. I pulled away and he looked at me, his eyes falling to my mouth before slowly rising to meet my own. His eyes were sad, and it broke my heart. I kept my hand on his face, lightly rubbing his cheek with my thumb while pulling him down to rest his forehead against mine.

"Yeah, I mean, I don't know what's gonna happen either, but..." Alex continued, prompting us to pull back from each other, "its not like we have a choice."

Another purple jolt rocked the boys and they all groaned. I squeezed my eyes shut, causing the tears that I hadn't realized had been building up to roll down my face. Reggie glanced at me, rubbing his wrist.

"I'm pretty sure we do." He said. I shook my head. "And it rhymes with the Hollywood Ghost Club."

"No," I said, shaking my head, "Anything is better than that, trust me. Please trust me on that."

"We trust you," Luke said, "We learned our lesson, we're not going to make that mistake again." I sighed, nodding my head. Our conversation was halted by the garage door opening and Julie came in, a garment bag in her hand.

"Are you ready?" She asked excitedly. Her smile faltered as she saw the looks on our faces. I quickly reached up and wiped my tears away. "What's wrong?"

"Yeah," Alex answered as we all walked over to her, "We just got rocked pretty hard by one of those jolt things."

"Pretty sure I ghost peed a little." Reggie told her.

"But we're fine." Luke assured her. She looked to me and I just nodded, wrapping my arms around myself and looking down at my feet. Reggie put a hand on my back, gently rubbing circles between my shoulder blades.

"Actually guys, I'm a little nervous." She said.

"That's normal," I told her, "If you weren't nervous, I'd think there was something wrong with you." She smiled.

"Um, Luke, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Yeah." He walked over to stand with her, and Alex, Reggie and I turned away just like we had for Alex earlier. But rather than staying with him, Reggie grabbed my hand and pulled me into the bathroom. Before I could ask what he was doing, he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me against him, burying his face in my neck. I sighed, wrapping one arm around his neck and tangling my hand in his hair.

"I'm not ready to lose you." He whispered. "Not again. I don't think I can do this a second time."

"You're not losing me." I said, my voice breaking. I pulled away from him keeping my hands on his shoulders. He had tears streaming down his face. This only made me cry harder as I reached up, wiping them away before pushing his hair out of his eyes. "You're never gonna lose me. Not really. Death couldn't separate us, you think crossing over will?"