Chapter Two: Those Are My Boys

Dear Reggie,

I know that this is a difficult situation, and you're probably feeling guilty for not being here for my final moments. I don't want you to feel guilty. I know me saying that won't just make it go away, but here's why I say that.  As far as I'm concerned, a person's final moments do not define them. We all have moments in our life, some that we love, some that we regret. We have moments that make us laugh and moments that make us cry, but that's all they are. Moments. They come and go and then its onto the next one. People say that life is a series of moments, and those are what I'm going to remember, not that you missed this one fleeting one.

I'm going to remember when we met in Kindergarten and became instant best friends, even before we really understood what that meant. I'll remember going to you for boy advice in my awkward preteen phase and how you were always willing to be there for me when the latest douchebag broke my heart. I'll remember how happy, carefree, and truly at home you feel when you're on stage, playing with the band.

Those are all great memories that I have of you...but I have one last request. I want you to be aware of how you remember me. I don't want you remember the version of me that showed up to your house at one AM crying because I only had a month left to live. I don't want you remember the sickly, pale girl in the head scarf that could barely stay awake as you strummed goofy songs for her on your guitar. I want you to remember me when I was at my best; When I was at my happiest...

When I was with you.

I love you, Reggie. You will always be my best friend.

Yours,

Delilah

I had cried the hardest when I wrote Reggie's letter because, to put it simply, he was my best friend. I loved Luke and Alex with all my heart, don't get me wrong, but Reggie and I understood each other in a way that no one else did. He was my person, and watching him fall apart over my death was easily one of the worst experiences of my life...or afterlife technically.

But it wasn't nearly as bad as the moment that I watched him die. 

I sat in the back of the ambulance, people passing through me over and over again, but I didn't care. I had tears streaming down my face as I looked at Reggie, surrounded by Doctors, the life fading out of his eyes. I reached out, trying to grab his hand, but mine only phased through it, only causing me to cry harder.

I watched as the Doctors told the boys' parents that they were dead. I watched them react the same way I'm sure my parents did after I passed and my heart went out to them, it truly did.

But at the same time, I couldn't help but feel slightly hopeful that they would become ghosts as well and I would get to see them again. I waited a year, suspecting that if they were going to come back, it would be on the same time frame as me, and in the meantime I learned how to function as a ghost. I learned to teleport, disappear in one place and appear in the other. I taught myself to focus my energy so that I would be able to touch and lift things. I even learned that there are other ghosts all over the Los Angeles area, and most importantly...

I learned how to hide from them...or should I say him.

One year turned into two, and I continued to wait for the boys to show up as well as hone my ghost abilities and continue to hide from the less-than-friendly specters that lurked in the shadows. I learned that I have a unique ghost ability that allowed me to make myself invisible to the other ghosts, which has proven to come in quite handy in the hiding department.

I waited and waited and the years ticked by, and still no sign of them. Eventually I took to checking out our usual haunts, no pun intended. I checked their houses, the places we used to play gigs, even the Orpheum a few times, but no such luck.