Chapter Nineteen: Birthday Cake

The next morning I poofed into the coffee shop that the boys were stationed at, blowing out a frustrated breath and slamming my head down on the table.

"I take it your interviews went well." Alex said sarcastically. I sat up, resting my chin in my hand as Reggie shot me a sympathetic smile, rubbing my back.

"Nothing! None of my usual allies will tell me what the stamp does. They're scared that if word gets back to Caleb that they told me he'll come after them." I said. "Which, I should have known, to be completely honest. What's going on here?"

"We're sitting here and watching people take pictures of food apparently."

"Luke said something about this place being a hot spot for music industry people." Reggie told me. I nodded, pushing my hair out of my face as Luke made his way over to us. I stood up, letting him have the chair and opting to sit in Reggie's lap instead. I wrapped an arm around his shoulders and he wrapped one around my waist, using his other hand to lightly trace circles on the skin of my knee that was exposed by my skirt.

"Guys, being a ghost definitely has its privileges," He said, "I just wrote out names on the playlist for tonight." 

"I'm gettin' a little worried about him," Alex told Reggie and I," He keeps forgetting Julie quit the band." 

"She's gonna come back just as soon as she knows we have a great gig." Luke shot back.

"I don't think it will be that simple. I mean, you guys did humiliate her in front of her entire school. Its gonna take more than a great gig to get her to forgive you-"

My sentence was interrupted by a purple jolt, simultaneously hitting the boys. I could feel the electricity off of Reggie, and jumped off of his lap as the boys all groaned in pain.

"What the heck was that?!" I asked.

"Its that same thing again." Alex told me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Wait, that's happened to you before?" 

"Just once, yesterday after you left the gym," Luke told me.

"It feels like we're dying all over again." Reggie added.

"Which doesn't make sense, because...how can we die if we're already dead?" I shook my head.

"If anyone could managed that, it would be Caleb. We have to figure out what this stamp is doing to you guys, and if there's a way for us to stop it." I said. "But be prepared, because knowing Caleb, whatever it is is not going to be easy...or pleasant. "

"And in the meantime, its just like what Julie said. We have a new band and a new sound, and that's what we should be focusing on, at least until we figure out what's happening to us." Luke threw in.

"Isn't that Willie?" Alex asked. I looked up to see a long-haired boy peering through the window, only to instantly run when he saw us. Alex got up, running through the door and standing outside.

"Well someone's not focusing on our music." Reggie said. I ran over, following him out and standing beside him, only to find that the guy was gone.

"He's the guy who brought you to Caleb?" I asked. He nodded. "We really need to talk to him. He might know what's going on." 

"Yeah...yeah, I'll keep an eye out for him." He said, not looking at me. I nodded, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"You ok?" I asked. He nodded, slowly turning to look at me.

"You don't think..." I shook my head.

"I don't think he did it on purpose," I explained, "Caleb is in control of everyone who works for him, and he makes them think that they're better off for it. I doubt Willie knew what he was planning."