Chapter Seven: Letters

We poofed back to the garage, only to find that he wasn't there.

"Where did he go?" Luke asked. I turned to them.

"You guys look around here and out in the yard. I'll check the house." I said, poofing into the kitchen. That was empty so I stepped into the living room, still seeing no sign of him. I began poofing from room to room until I eventually came to Julie's room. I poofed inside to finally find Reggie, laying on Julie's bed, staring at the ceiling. My eyebrows drew together in concern and I leaned my shoulder against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest. "You know Julie probably won't like that you're in here."

"I know...I just needed to wallow and I do that best on a bed for some reason." He said. I walked over, grabbing his hands and pulling him up into a sitting position. He groaned in protest, but allowed me to do so nonetheless.

"What's going on, Reggie?" I asked. "You were fine, you felt better, and then I made that joke and all of a sudden, you were back to sulking again, what's up with that?"

"I don't know if you actually want the answer to that question." He said, falling back onto the bed again. I sighed, flopping down onto the bed beside him. He turned his head to look at me while I kept my eyes directed at the ceiling.

"Of course I do. I'm your best friend, why would I not want to know if something is bothering you?" He sighed, looking at the ceiling, so now I turned my head to look at him.

"Because if I tell you...you might not want to be my best friend when I'm done." I furrowed my eyebrows, turning onto my side and leaning on my elbow. He glanced at me lazily, not even bothering to move his head.

"That's never gonna happen," I said quietly, "Nothing you could tell me would ever make me not want to be friends with you." He sighed, sitting up and leaning back on his hands. I sat up too.

"Do you remember...my first major breakdown, after you died? Did you see that?"

"I don't know. I didn't come back until 1995." I said, tucking my hair behind my ear. He nodded.

"So, you wouldn't have then. But it was...it was bad. Really bad."

~~~REGGIE~~~

~~~TWENTY-FOUR YEARS AGO~~~

"Come on, man!" Luke exclaimed. "The concert is in three hours, and you still haven't gotten this bassline down. We have to do this song tonight, they've been begging for new material!"

"I know, Luke. I know, I'm sorry, there's just a lot on my mind." I said. "Let's just run it again, I'll get it. I swear." Alex held up a hand, stopping him.

"Maybe it would help if you talk about what's bothering you," He suggested, "What's on your mind that's got you so distracted." I shook my head.

"He's right, man. You're not gonna be able to stop thinking about it if you don't get it off of your chest." Luke said. I looked up at them, suddenly very angry. It always scared me when I got angry, which seemed to be happening more and more since...

I would be perfectly fine, and then all of a sudden I would just be extremely mad about everything. It was like a switch was flipped and suddenly, I was this whole other person, who could get more angry than I ever thought I could be, and for whatever reason, that statement flipped that switch. Actually not 'for whatever reason', it was actually a very specific reason.

"So that's the answer, huh? Just stop thinking about it?" I asked. They furrowed their eyebrows. "Yeah, you're right. Let me just tell you how I'm feeling so I can stop thinking about it-so I can forget about it like seemingly everyone else has."