Chapter Twenty-Nine: Stand Tall

Caleb walked out onto the stage, the roar of the crowd welcoming him.

"Ladies and Gentleman, I'm back!" He announced. "Hello, hello, hello." He did a very dramatic twirl before beginning to sing.

"You know you wanna take a chance," He turned his head, as did his dancers, looking at the four of us, "And be a little bit bad. Ain't nothin' quite like living on the edge! So get ready to go, I'm chasing down a thrill." He walked back towards us, making intense eye contact as he began singing at us, "And looking fit to kill, so listen to the words a wise man said. He said, 'Covington, I got an offer that you can't refuse'. Ha!" He ran back to the middle of the stage. "You got nothing to lose, Boys!" He pointed at us again. "Lo-o-ose! Lo-o-ose! Lo-o-ose!"

Suddenly, before we could stop it all of our feet began tapping to the music. I began fighting to keep my feet still, but it seemed the more I fought, the stronger the power controlling me became. I glanced up to see Caleb facing the audience before being surrounded by his dancer's fans. When they lifted, he was facing us.

"You got nothing to lose, boys! Lo-o-ose!' He waved us forward and suddenly Alex began twirling one of his drumsticks between his fingers of their own accord, looking down at his hands in confusion. "Lo-o-ose! Lo-o-ose!"

Suddenly Alex poofed from back stage, appearing behind the drum set.

"You got nothing to lose! Alex!" Caleb stopped singing and Alex began slamming out a drum solo, clearly out of his own control. "Show me what you got!"

Reggie was next, appearing in the middle of the dancers and beginning to strum a bass solo.

"Reggie! Swing it baby! Uh! Delilah!" My feet began moving forward, and even when I was able to force myself to stop moving them, I continued to slide across the stage until eventually the force released me. I went plummeting towards the ground only to poof half-way down and appear beside Reggie, my fingers working to play in accordance with him. "Now Luke, yeah!" 

Luke began playing a solo offstage, walking in place as he fought against Caleb's powers. Reggie and I shared a look, and I forced myself to look up at Alex.

"You...have...to fight...him!' I groaned to them. "With everything that you have...fight him!" 

He finally managed to get Luke onto the stage, Luke playing with an enraged look on his face.

"You and me! " Luke played a riff, and then Caleb sang the same riff after him, Da-Da-Da-Da-Da! Ba-ba-da-daaa!" he climbed down the stairs, holding his arms out as Luke, Reggie, and I stood in a line, playing together. "How do you like my new band?" The crowd cheered with him.

"GET...TO...JULIE!" I screamed at them. I squeezed my eyes shut, focusing all of my energy on poofing to the Orpheum. I opened my eyes as Caleb paused his singing, turning around and glaring at me. I smirked at him, pushing back with all of my might until I felt his power give way, and suddenly I was back stage at the Orpheum. I fell to my knees, breathing heavily. All of my limbs felt like jello, and my head was pounding. I didn't want to leave without them, but I also knew he'd be fighting me the hardest. They can get away from him, I know they can. They're strong. 

I glanced up to see Julie on stage, standing in front of her piano with her mic in her hands. Even in the stress of our current situation, I found myself smiling. She's on stage, on her own. She's gonna do it. Whatever happens after we're gone, she'll be ok.

"Hi. I'm Julie, um..." She trailed off.

"Come on, Julie." I whispered.

"Tonight, I'd like to dedicate this song to my mom, who's been there with me every time I've played. And thank her, for..." She looked up at the ceiling, "not giving up on me. I'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to...four special friends...who have changed my life completely, who have brought music back to me. It was their dream to play here, and..."