Chapter Thirty: Stronger

We poofed back into the garage, where we stood for a moment in silence, waiting for something...anything to happen that indicated we were crossing over. However, after about five minutes of just standing there...nothing happened.

"So...that's it?" Alex asked. "That wasn't our unfinished business?" I shook my head.

"If we were going to cross over, we would've done it by now." I said. Another jolt hit us and we all fell to the ground, writhing and pain.

"We should've gone somewhere else," Alex groaned, "Julie's going to come in here."

"Nah, she's probably exhausted," Luke said painfully, "She'll probably go straight to bed."

"I have to admit," Reggie threw in, "If these are our last moments?" I smiled, flopping over to lay on my back.

"What a way to go." I finished. Another jolt came and we all screamed, the boys flopping over onto their backs too. The lights were off, and it was dark outside, so we couldn't really see anything. All we could really do was lay on the floor, in the dark, and wait to disappear from existence.

I reached over, grabbing Reggie's hand and intertwining our fingers. I grabbed Alex's hand in my other hand.

"You guys are the best," I stated, "And I'm so proud of you for escaping Caleb, and I just want to say...there is nothing that I would rather have than you guys in my life."

Before we could say anything else, the garage doors opened and Julie stepped inside. Luckily she didn't turn the lights on, but stood there in the doorway staring into the dark garage.

"I..." She started talking but trailed off, going quiet for several minutes, " I know I already said this, but uh...thank you, guys."

"You're welcome." Reggie said. Alex sighed.

"Dude!" I let go of their hands as Julie ran to the light switch, flipping it on to find the four of us crumpled on the floor, all groaning and coughing in pain. She took a few steps closer to us.

"Wh-why are you here? I-I thought..." Another jolt hit us and we all screamed collectively, the tears beginning to flow from our eyes because the pain was so great. I put a hand over my eyes as tears dripped down the side of my face onto the floor. Another jolt hit me singularly, causing me to let out a high-pitched shriek that sounded so awful I was surprised it came from me.

"Del..." Reggie groaned.

"I'm ok," I cried, coughing violently and holding my stomach, "Oh frick...I'm ok."

"No, no! I thought you crossed over, why didn't you cross over?" Julie questioned, her own tears flowing freely now. We all fought our way into a sitting position, Reggie clinging onto the arm of the chair and pulling me back so that I sat between his legs. I laid the back of my head on his shoulder, feeling too weak from both the jolts, and the exertion of energy tonight to stay sitting for too long.

"I guess playing the Orpheum wasn't our unfinished business." Alex groaned.

"Point Caleb." Reggie added, his shuddering breath hot against the side of my face. Another jolt hit my and I bit my lip, holding in a scream but expressing my pain by slamming my fist repeatedly into the floor. Reggie reached up, pushing my hair back.

"We wanted you to think we crossed over, so we pretended to." Luke told her. "We just..." He looked down at his lap, shaking his head, "We had nowhere else to go."

"We thought you'd go straight to bed." Reggie told her as Alex struggled to get to his feet, leaning heavily on an amp.

"Yeah well...I knew she was gonna come out here, but nobody ever listens to me-"