Chapter Twelve: Two Birds, One Stone

Luke came back not long after he'd left to find us on the couch, Reggie laying with his head on my lap while I ran my fingers through his hair. He smiled.

"Don't you two look cozy?" He asked. I rolled my eyes, smiling at him. "So...does this mean you guys are like...together now?"

"I don't know," Reggie said, tilting his head back to look up at me, "you tell me."

"Nah, I don't think so. I find you utterly repulsive and I hated your letter." I said, smirking at him. He narrowed his eyes at me before sitting up and whirling around to loop a hand behind my head and force my lips against his. I laughed against his mouth, putting my hands on his face and kissing him back.

"Ok, guys cool it, you have an audience." Luke said uncomfortably, leading me to pull away from Reggie and look at him.

"Sorry."

"So, you guys wanna have band practice until Julie gets home? We're gonna ask her to join Sunset Curve." He explained. I raised my eyebrows.

"You know we're not supposed to play unless Julie's here."

"Oh come on, we'll keep the amps turned down to one. I have this new song that I'm working on that I really want to try and lay down a melody for." I sighed, thinking about this.

"Fine. But keep it down."

"Yes!" He held his hands out, summoning his guitar, and Reggie did the same. "Actually, I could use your help with the vocals. Since hopefully Julie will be joining the band I need to figure out the melody for a girl's vocal range." I nodded, holding my hand out and he handed me a folded up piece of paper. I opened it, letting my eyes comb over the lyrics.

"If I leave you on a bad note, leave you on a sad note, Guess that means I'm buying lunch that day. I know all your secrets, you know all my deep dish-Ok, I know you did not write this."

"What?! What do you mean?!" He exclaimed. I shot him a look.

"Well, not only have I been trying to decipher your chicken scratches for years, and this is way to neat to be your handwriting, I highly doubt you'd be writing songs about knowing 'all my deep dish' or...'knowing who I like before I like them because you liked them first'. These are girl-crafted lyrics if I have ever heard them, and I know they're not mine which probably means..." I gasped at the realization, causing Luke to cringe, "You went through Julie's dream box!" 

"I'm sorry, ok! Alex left, you and Reggie were having a heart-to-heart, I didn't know what else to do! It was right there!" My eyes widened as I remembered that Alex had been gone for hours.

"I should really go and try to find Alex." I said, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"He's fine. He knows his way around town, what do you think is gonna happen? He's gonna get lost?" Reggie asked. I shook my head.

"Look, its just...there are things out there that you guys just don't understand yet. Dangerous things."

"Dangerous like what?" Luke questioned, his eyes drawing together in concern. I blew out a breath.

"Its complicated." I said. "Just trust me, its bad, and Alex is a naturally curious person, and I'm worried he might stumble into something that-"

"Ok, seriously? Relax, Del. Alex is gonna be fine, he's the most responsible out of the three of us." Luke told me. "He's also the smartest, so give him some credit. He'll be ok."

"Its not really him I'm worried about." I muttered to myself.

"Come on, help me with this song. Take your mind off of worrying about Alex."