Chapter Four: Kinda Good

I trailed after the boys, making myself invisible once again so as to avoid being seen by Julie.

When I got there, Julie was looking at the boys in shock, they were frozen in place, and her family, with the new addition of a woman that I had never seen before, were giving her strange looks. She laughed awkwardly.

"Ha, that's me. Ripping off the Band-Aid." She lied. I furrowed my eyebrows, having no idea what the context of this conversation was. "Aah." Carlos laughed and the woman crouched down, grabbing Julie's chin.

"That's my brave girl."

"Hey Julie," She turned around is Luke crouched down to talk to her, "I really like what you guys did with the place."

"You shouldn't be here!" She said, earning a shocked look from her family.

"Oh, I'm just here to help, mija." She said, rubbing Julie's back. She looked at the boys again.

"Uh...I think that's our cue to leave." Alex whispered.

"I mean, you should be at Pilates, thanks for bringing us food." She said, hugging the woman and shooting the boys a nasty look.

"We should've called first." Reggie said, pushing the boys towards the door.

"Its nothing," The woman said, "And now that you're no longer in the music program, you can concentrate on classes that matter." I furrowed my eyebrows, stepping up behind her Dad and crossing my arms. "You got the email from the school, right?"

"Yeah," He said, shooting Julie a knowing look, "We're still discussing it."

"Bueno. I'm of to Pilates." She blew Carlos a kiss and he stood up, catching it, pretending to throw it up and hit it with a bat.

"Wa-Chow! Its gone." She laughed, kissing the back of Julie's head. She said something to them in Spanish, and something to their dad as well before leaving the house. "So, Julie, wanna hear how I slid into home and was almost safe?"

"You're a good brother. That's not gonna work." He snapped his fingrs, urging for Carlos to leave the table.

"I tried." Carlos told her, grabbing his plate and walking away.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked her, "You made me lie to your aunt."

"Sorry," She said quietly, "I was gonna tell you after dinner."

"Yeah. Mm-hmm."

"I was."

"Honey, I know those classes can be difficult...but you still like music, don't you?" He questioned.

"I don't know. Maybe." I bit my lip. I knew I should leave, and that this was none of my business, but at this point, I'd watched these kids grow up. I was invested now, and as a musician, I had to know what would stop Julie from wanting to play music, because I know how important it is to her, and how important it was to her Mom.

"Look, we talked about this, you know? And how painful memories can be, but...you know, every time I see you and Carlos, I see Mom. Its like she's right here with us. But you know what? I love that. I do. And maybe if you'd give yourself a chance...you'll get there." She looked down at the table, just as loud rock music emanating from the garage cut into the conversation. I didn't react, assuming they couldn't hear it, until Julie jumped up and Carlos ran into the dining room.

"What's that?" He asked. My eyes widened I bolted through the door, running into the garage and making myself visible again to see the guys had brought their instruments down from the loft and were playing them.