Chapter Six: This Band Is Back

While the boys peered through the windows, I made myself invisible and stood in the doorway.

"We need to talk." Flynn said.

"Are you ok?"

"No, I'm not ok! You just got kicked out of music! I've been up all night thinking about what I was gonna say. Might've drank seven sodas, but...I need to get this out."

"Wait, I have something to tell you-" Julie started.

"No, its my turn to talk." Julie sat back in her seat. "You can't give up music. Your music's like a gift, so that would be a tragedy! So you're basically like, canceling Christmas, and I love Christmas!" 

"Flynn, I-"

"Uh-uh." I chuckled silently to myself, glancing over at the boys, who were listening intently. All except Reggie, who was already looking at me when I looked at him. His eyes widened in shock as I caught him staring at me. I just smiled and mouthed 'Creep' at him, which cause him to smile back. I turned back to the girls. "When we were six, we promised to be in a band together. Double Trouble."

"I never agreed to that name." Julie said. She sighed, coming around the piano and Julie turned to face her.

"That's not the point. Jules, if you leave the music program, we'll be apart forever. That's just what happens! Sure we'll see each other in the hall sometimes, but we'll have different lives, make new friends!"

"That's not true."

"You're right," Flynn said, "I won't be making any new friends. And the only time we'll contact each other is when we'll be liking each other's posts on Instagram. And every time I'll be hitting that little heart, my heart will be breaking because my best friend left me, and...ugh, do you have any soda? My head hurts."

"Can I talk now?" Julie inquired. She sighed.

"Fine."

"I just played the piano and sang again."

"What?! Why didn't you just say so?!"

"I was trying, then your seven sodas kicked in." 

"I'm so happy for you! And me!" Julie laughed.  "Look at you, looking all, I don't know alive again!" 

"Right? Its like I drank seven sodas." 

"What made you play again?" Flynn questioned.  She looked down, sliding the sheet music across the piano to Flynn.

"I found this song my mom wrote me."

"Whoa."

"I know." She said quietly, leaning her head on her elbow. "I was so afraid to play it. Anything involving music reminds me of her. And then I woke up this morning realizing that's why I should play it. To keep her memory alive."

"Aw, come here." Flynn pulled her into a hug. She gasped. "We need to tell Mrs. Harrison you can play again so you can stay in school and my life won't be that sad picture I just painted for you. My girl's back! Double Trouble lives again!"

"Not out band name." Julie replied.

"I gave you a t-shirt in the seventh grade that says otherwise." I walked over to stand with the boys as they came towards the door, making myself visible just as they pretended not to have been eavesdropping. Alex turned away from the garage, pretending to inspect the lighting fixture Luke not-so-casually, leaned against the door, and Reggie somehow ended up on the ground, sitting with his back against it. I crossed my arms, rolling my eyes at them as Julie closed the door and spotted all four of us.