Sick

"Zak! Do you want anything from the bakery?"

I yelled at him. Its been a couple of weeks since the day I first met Zak. We've been closer as time flies.

Every time I go to the bakery, I would always bump into a guard looking or asking for Zak. Because of this, Zak cant come out of the house.

I heard footsteps approach me. I turned around and I gasp in shock. Zak stood there, his blanket still wrapped around him. He was pale. His eyes were clouded and he look uncomfortable.

"Darryl, I don't feel so good..."

He mumbled. He was sweating heavily. He wobbled his way towards me, and I wrapped me arms around him.

He snuggled closer to me, and I could feel the heat radiating off of his skin.

"Awe! Is the wittle baby feewing sick?"

I spoke to him like how I spoke to a cute baby. Zak acts all tough and manly around others, but in reality, he really is just a sweet little baby.

He lifted his head off of my chest, and looked at me with his sad puppy like eyes. He mumbled a quiet 'mhm' and buried his face back in my chest.

I chuckled at how cute he acted.

Awe.

We stood there for a couple of seconds before I heard soft snoring coming from Zak.

I smiled at him and shook my head.

Looks like I'm not going the bakery after all...

I hauled up Zak carrying him bridal style and plopped him down on his bed. I went out, grabbed a bowl of water and a cloth.

I wet the cloth, squeezing out the water that I didn't need and placed it on Zak's forehead.

Zak mumbled, his face scrunched up. I hummed a bit and his face relaxed. I saw this and took it as a sign that he was sleeping deeply.

What to cook...

I thought as I approached the kitchen.

As if feeding myself wasn't already hard. Now I have to feed my and Zak.

Thank goodness Zak offered to help with the money situation. I looked around and spotted the potatoes and carrots I bought yesterday.

I have an idea...

I grabbed the the carrots, threw the potatoes in the sink, and got to work. I stayed in the kitchen trying to cook something for Zak, and low and behold, I finally finished.

I grabbed a bowl, a spoon, and a glass of water, and made my way towards Zak's room. I got to his door, and slowly pushed it open.

"Zak? You ok buddy?"

I asked in a calm yet concern voice. I heard coughing, so I entered fully. There, laying under a thick, woolly blanket, was Zak.

"Darryl?"

Zak croaked out. His voice was hoarse and it cracked at the middle of his sentence. I gave him a look of sympathy and approached him with the food I cooked.

"Hey there buddy..."

My voice trailed of when I got close to him. I was a few steps away from him, and I could already feel the heat radiating off of him. His eyes were peeking from under the blanket. I set down the food on the table near the bed, and sat down on the bed.

"Hey, you feeling any better? I made soup!"

I told him, trying to make him feel a little better. I took the cloth on his fore head, and placed it in the bowl of water that was laying on the floor at the end of the bed.

"Come on Zak, have a bit of soup. It's gonna make you feel better."

As my sentence ended, I grabbed the soup that I left cooling on the table and turned so I was facing Zak's face.

Zak grumbled, and turned away from me.

"Oh come one Zak! You need to eat this!"

More annoyed grumbling came from Zak, so like any logical person, I put the soup back on the table, and pounced on Zak. Tackling him.

"AHH! What the hEck?!"

He yelled, his voice cracking. Not expecting me to tackle him, he fell under submission. I got on top of him and pinned him down on the bed. 

"eAT ThE SoUP ZAk!"

I yelled at him. He looked shocked but he nodded either way. I got off of him and sat where I was sitting before I tackled him.

Zak slowly sat up and looked at me. I grabbed the soup and tried to give it to him.

"No!"

He said in a childish manner. Crossing his arms, he turned his head away from me

"What! You just said you were going to eat it!"

"I'll only eat it if you feed it to me!"

His request left me in shock. My face turned red, and my mouth hung open. Zak looked at me, his face going pale, and he looked worried. Regret and concern clouding his dull and sick eyes.

"Wait, I'm sorry, I was just joking. I can feed myself!"

He tried grabbing the soup out of my hands, but I was faster and didn't let him. I stood up shook my head. I sat back down, and held the spoon steadily.

"Darryl, seriously, I was joking! You don't have to feed me!"

I shook my head no, and spoke to him in a reassuring voice.

"Joking or not Zak, I'm feeding you."

"But-"

He tried to protest but I cut him off.

"Nope! No buts, no guts, no coconuts. Now, lean back, and let me feed you."

I said sternly. But even tho my voice was serious, I could feel my face heating up. I knew I was red, but I knew I wasn't sick.

Zak, this only happens when I'm around you. I know this because before I met you, this never happened. Are you like this to?

I thought to myself. I wanted to know if Zak has ever felt this, but not now. He's sick, and I need to take care of him. 

I continued to feed him, and when he finished the soup, he fell asleep. The whole day I stayed by his side. Only leaving when I need to refill the bowl with water.

And at the end of the end of the day, I felt my body get drained. I was tired. My eye lids got heavier by the minute, but I fought back the wave of sleep that wanted to wash over me.

But even tho I tried so hard, I felt so tired, that I let my eye lids shut.  I felt myself get moved, but I was to tired to open my eyes. Then, I felt something get draped over me, and I felt a light squeeze.

Hot breath was hitting my arm, and I heard a silent mumble. I opened my eyes slightly to get a glimpse of the who or what hugging me. 

Once I opened my eyes, my whole body tensed. Zak had one of his arm and leg wrapped around me. I froze, but soon relaxed under his embrace. I hugged back, and fell asleep right there and then, a smile evident on my face.

What are you doing to me Zak...?