Closer

Three months. It's been three months since Zak ran away and lived with me. And these past three months have been exciting!

Let me explain.

On the first month, the king, Zak's father, ordered the guards to inspect each house thoroughly. Of course, that made my heart drop.

The next few weeks went by as a blur. Houses got destroyed when guards came in. People got hurt, and some even got killed.

At the end of the month, guards came to the bakery and asked me to bring them to my house. I was prepared of course.

I told Zak that, each time I went to work, he would always go to the hill and only come back when it's midnight.

My house got destroyed, no surprises there. The guards rummaged through my house, and as expected, they found nothing that belonged to Zak. So I was on the clear.

They all left, but one. He looked young, about the same age as Zak. He stayed behind and let the others walk away. He turned to me when the other guards were out of view, and spoke.

"I know the prince was here. No need to lie. Now, tell me where he is if you want to keep your life."

My eyes widened and my breathing hitched. 

How? How did he know?

I gritted my teeth, and fisted my hands. But pretended to be calm.

I am not letting him take away Zak!

"I don't know what you mean. But Prince Zak isn't here. Nor did he stay here. So please stop saying nonsense and leave, you and the others have already destroyed my house!"

I half shouted. I didn't know why, but this man made my blood boil.

The man smirked and grabbed my wrist. 

"What the-"

My protest were cut off when he started dragging me to the hill where Zak was currently hiding.

Oh no! Zak!

I struggled to get out of his grip, but he held me firmly and continued his way to the hill. 

My mind was racing, my heart was pounding, and my palms were sweating.

I'm sorry Zak. I'm so so sorry...

As we neared the hill, I could make out the silhouette of Zak in the distance. My heart dropped and I lowered my head.

"Prince Zak!"

The guard that held my wrist yelled and I felt my chest clench with guilt. The tears that were forming started to fall.

Then, I heard footsteps, and someone hugged me. I looked to the side and saw the guard smiling. Zak was hugging me, but I was frozen from confusion.

"Darryl! Are you ok? Did they hurt you?"

Zak asked, question after question. Checking my body if I had any wounds or bruise. I just stood there, confused out of my mind.

Then, Zak turned to the guard that dragged me here.

"George, please tell me you didn't burn his house down..."

If my confusion level wasn't out of this world already, it is now.

Wait, what? He knows this guard?