Choice

Note; this is Karl's POV)

I woke up a few hours ago. Zak offered me food, but I didn't feel like eating. I asked Zak if he could take me to spare bedroom since I didn't want to take their bed.

Zak nodded and led to me to a room across from theirs. Before closing the door, he asked if I needed anything. I managed to give him a small smile and shook my head no.

He smiled and left the room. I sat down on the bed and laid there. My mind was blank, my eyes were dull and everything felt numb.

I rolled in the bed, trying to get myself to forget about everything I just witnessed. I felt my heart ache just at the thought of Nick.

I did my best not to think of him or the boy he was with, but everything I tried to distract myself always made me think of Nick.

I stood up when I realized that I was getting a sleepless night. I wondered around the familiar castle until I stumbled across the garden where it all started.

My body moved on it's own, and soon enough, I found myself staring at the flower that bloomed when I met Nick.

Back then, it seemed like fate brought us together. But now, it appears that fate was wrong. I glared at the flower, wanting it to wither and fade away.

"You made me believe he was the one! Now look at me..."

I said as I looked at the flower. And as if it heard me, a harsh breeze swept one petal off of the flower. The petal flew towards me. I opened my hand and the petal landed on my palm.

And, to my amazement. The petal started to turn black, withering the color and beauty away. After a few seconds, the petal turned into dust, and as the wind carried it away, I noticed the pink speckles it left behind.

My mind wondered, confusion bubbled inside me. I stared at my palm where the petal once sat on. Pink pigment stained parts of my hands, making me even more confused.

What does this mean? Could it be a sign that Nick and I weren't made for each other?

My mind flew to different questions and theories, but none of them seemed like it fitted. I turned around and sat on the fountain.

I was lost in thought that I failed to notice the figure that was heading towards me.

"What's gotten you upset?"

A familiar voice rang through my ears. I looked up and saw the former queen, aka Zak's mother. Her eyes held such warmth that it terrified me.

It's been so long since anyone has looked at me like that. Such worry and love. The queen was like my second mother. As a kid, the queen normally visited the garden so we normally run into each other.

She treated me like I was part of her family. Like I was her child. I adored her. How kind and selfless she was. She was the closest thing I had to family. My mom never acknowledged my existence. And I never met my dad.

I sighed and turned away. I heard shuffling before a hand made it's way to my cheek. The hand guided me and my gaze locked with the queen's.

"Karl? You know I practically raised you, so you already know I'm going to sense when something is wrong."

She spoke. Her voice soft but stern. My eyes widened, but I expected this. She was right, after all the time I spent with her and Zak, there's practically no way to hide anything from her.

I sighed for what felt like the hundredth time tonight, before releasing myself from her grasp and telling her something that re-opened the slowly healing wound.

"Things have changed. The times are different, but I never thought he would replace me just like that. Now, here I am. Yelling at a flower, I'm hopeless..."

 I voiced out everything to the former queen. The weight on my shoulder getting lighter the more words came out of my mouth.  

I awaited the queen's reply. I looked at her, her face and eyes held no expression. She closed her eyes and when she opened them, such sympathy and love drifted from them.

"My child, love is complicated, but don't think your journey with it is over. You have so much to give, and the person that will have you will be very lucky. But, there is a tale to tell on the other end of the story. It's your decision if you want to read it, or avoid it."

The former queen said. My mind swirled at her words, slowly processing what she meant. Once I did, I felt like crying.

I waited for tears to fall, but none did. The former queen's words stabbed my heart like a sharpened sword.

I held eye contact with her, but looked away when I saw grief fill her eyes. I looked back at everything I witnessed.

Nik leaving without a good-bye, him not returning for days, and me finding out he had been avoiding me, trying to hide the fact that he had another, someone other than me.

I clenched my fist, but relaxed when I realized, I couldn't do anything to change what had happened. 

I felt arms wrap around me, then a soft voice whispered in my ear. Something I longed to hear, something I've said many times over.

"You'll be ok. I'm here, I'll always be here."

Just as I thought my tears have dried up, drops came down slowly, then continued until the tears fell freely like a waterfall.

I screamed, all my pain and suffering. All the heartache and sorrow. I channeled it to a singular scream. I felt the arms around me tighten, as if indicating that they were never letting go. 

My chest tightened, I felt my heart shatter but after I screamed, I felt my chest clear up. My heart stopped, then beated in a monotous pattern.

I felt the world stop, then everything went black.

(Hey hey hey! Sorry for the late update. I got grounded again. Anyways, two updates in one day will come soon. I have things to tend to and now I got a bunch of free time. So I'll dedicate it to writing. Also, I realized that I've forgotten to srite a chapter in Adventure. I'll get to that soon, maybe I'll update once I've uploaded the two chapters for this book. Not sure, but I'll think of something. Anyways, see you guys next time!)