Crown

"Today, we celebrate our newly crowned king! Please welcome, your new leader, King Zak!"

My mother announced. As she mentioned my name, I walked out.

It revealed me wearing my fathers crown. I held my head up high as the kingdom cheered.

"We grieve for my fathers death. He was a wise and noble leader. His passing was a very tragic event. But I plan to lead just as well as he did. Thank you for accepting me as your king!"

I yelled from where I stood. Outside I look confident and determined, but on the inside I was slowly breaking.

I scanned the crowd and I met eyes with...

Darryl...

He was smiling, but not like those smile of joy, it was a smile of pain and sadness. Tears were spilling from his eyes and I saw just how much I meant to him.

All I wanted to do was run to him but I couldn't. I bowed my head and went inside.

Inside kings, queens, princesses and princes gathered. I recognized some of them as alliances of my father, but the others must be known by my mother.

"King Zak!"

I heard someone yell. I turned around and saw Prince Nick. Beside him was George and Clay.

"Greetings your majesty!"

He cheered in a teasing way. Ever since he and his father came to the kingdom almost a year ago, he and I have grown a bond.

"Dear god Nick, please don't..."

I sighed in annoyance and I heard him chuckle.

"George, Clay, go have fun. I'm sure I'll be fine."

Prince Nick, or, just Nick, told the guards that was standing on either side of him. Clay and George looked at each other before bowing both to me and Nick and walking away.

"So, I heard you ran away for 7? 8? months? What did it feel like?"

Nick asked me when George and Clay were out of sight.

I stiffened at his question. Not a lot of people know about my disappearance and I don't intend on telling the whole world about it.

"How 'bout we take a walk it's getting crowded. I'll tell you about it along the way."

Nick looked skeptical but nodded either way. I guided him to the garden that our castle gardener tends to.

I walked the familiar path to the garden when Nick decided to speak.

"So, why did you really take me on a walk? It's not because the ballroom was getting crowded, that's for sure."

I sighed in defeat.

He acts like Darryl. I really can't hide anything from them huh?

I looked down and thought about ways to tell him. I remember Nick talking about being bored in his castle that he even thought about running away, just like me.

"That's true. I just didn't want a bunch of people  over hearing our conversation that I ran away. It would destroy my father's image."

Nick let out a silent 'ah' and proceeded to walk down the path of the beautifully tended garden.

"But why did you-"

Nick cut himself off and he stopped walking. He was staring at something, so I turned my head to see him staring at a lone cupids orchid.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. I turned my head and saw a figure standing in the shadows.

"My king!"