65. Be my Valentine

Draco's POV

Every time I thought about the agonizing slow progress of the vanishing cabinet, I turned to Aster. 

I revelled in her soft touches, her pink lips, her round curves. 

Even just tuning into her voice helped. 

It was Valentines Day, a spectacle even in the wizarding world, probably even more so. 

Normally a day I despised, however today, it didn't feel quite as vexatious as normal. It felt almost, exhilarating. 

Aster and I hadn't planned anything, it wasn't like I could take her out on a public date or gift her with a card of charmed doves. That wasn't Aster's style anyway. 

Walking into breakfast felt like being plunged into a sickening sea of pink and red. Heart-shaped confetti fell from the pale blue ceiling, large lurid pink flowers decorated the long tables, and a dozen dwarves wearing golden wings and carrying harps had been hired to deliver Valentines around the room. I couldn't help but turn my nose at the tacky absurdity. 

My eyes immediately found Aster. She was also turning her nose up at the festivities, her eyes narrowing at the red card that was thrusted under her nose. 

Before I knew it, my legs were carrying me over to her. I swiftly sat opposite her, keeping my eyes focused on the plate in front of me. 

"Morning Malfoy" a sneering Theo welcomed. 

I looked up to find his scheming smirk plastered on his face. He was sitting next to Blaise who was perched in the middle of Aster and Theo. Blaise's focus was on Aster but his eyes flickered towards me as I sat down. 

I gave Theo a disgruntled look. 

"Do you not feel the love in the air this morning Malfoy?" he quipped sarcastically. 

Theo's eyes sparkled and Blaise snorts at his joke. 

I ignore them and help myself to a piece of heart shaped toast, tearing it in half and being pleased at the outcome. 

The fact even us wizards are so happy to express our love to our loved ones in such mundane, trivial ways, made me mad that this is how people expressed it. Was there not more to love than paper cards and love hearts? 

"Lets head to charms early" I hear Blaise say. I look up to find him nudging Theo with his shoulder, "I heard Romilda Vane is attempting to slip Potter a love potion before class". 

I can't help but snicker alongside Nott. 

I catch Zabini slyly knock Aster's arm as he leaves with Nott. This causes me to look up and find Aster shyly smiling at me. Aster shy? This instantly has me worried. 

"What?" I grumble at her from across the table. 

She looks around casually before replying. 

"Happy Valentines Day my love" she says boldly, her shyness vanishing.

My mouth hangs open and my eyes search the table for eavesdropper's. The table is scattered with students, however the ones nearest seem to be fully involved in a loud conversation about the many valentines pilled in front of a popular fifth year. 

I look back and find her smirk widened, her eyes glittering with humour. 

I narrow mine at her. 

"I suppose you're expecting flowers, chocolates the whole thing?" I quip nervously. Unsure about her daring display of public attention. 

She rolls her eyes and grabs her goblet. 

"Not a fan of Valentines day?" she asks, her smirk still present.