Chapter 4: A deal is struck

(??? POV)

I stared at the wall, waiting for her reaction. After a minute or so, I looked at her. Her face was blank and strands of her black hair had fallen to the sides of her face. Her silver eyes were clouded with thought. Suddenly, her eyes flashed the crimson red of her wolf and she growled.

"THE HECK DO YOU MEAN MATE?!" she yelled. Her ears were pinned to her head in anger as she growled. Her eyes seemed to have a fire dancing in them. I knew she wouldn't have liked the idea of being mated to someone in a pack, much less an Alpha, but I couldn't let her go without at least letting her know that she had a chance at a normal life among other wolves. However, now that I was looking at her, she looked enraged as expected but I noticed a small glimmer of fear in her eyes. Something scared her and it made me more determined to keep her here. I wanted to protect her from whatever she was scared of.

"What are you so afraid of? Why do you not want to be in a pack?" I asked softly. My kindness, however, was met with more anger. She growled as she bared her canines.

"You know NOTHING about me. Why the hell would I tell you anything?" Her voice was dangerously low as she spoke through her teeth. To be honest, I would have been scared of her if she wasn't my mate and if I didn't know that it was just a wall she was using to shield herself from the world around her. I've seen several of my Omegas use it against me and their loved ones after I took the title Alpha. The previous Alpha was too cruel to them and at the time I was a Beta so I had the right to challenge him and in the end I won. I helped my pack grow since then and knew them all by name. They were my family and I was their protector and leader. I sighed as I looked at my mate.

"I understand that your afraid of something and I want to help. At least stay for a week to give my Omegas a break. They've been hunting of you the past few days. Even when I told them to rest, they refused and continued. Stay for a week and if you still want to run free and alone, then I will not stop you and my pack will not go looking for you. I swear on the moon." I said, keeping my voice low and calm. Slowly, her ears went up and the flames of anger that were in her eyes calmed. She stared at me for a long time before she finally sighed.

"Fine. I'll stay but on one condition!" she said, the fire burning a little brighter in her eyes. I smiled and nodded.

"Anything."

"I want to know your name. No way am I calling you my Alpha." I chuckled as I stuck my hand out to her.

"I'm Hunter. Hunter Fairmoon." The corner of her mouth was pulled up and it was the first time I saw her smile. I made a silent vow to always keep that smile on her face. She took my hand, giving it a firm grip before shaking.

"Siren. Siren Nightshade."