Chapter 21: Story time for the past

(Hunter's POV)

I'll admit, I'm ashamed of what I had done, still am to this day, but I needed to know. I needed to know what happened to my mate before I found her. When Lupa told me to leave, I did but stood at the door, hoping they couldn't catch my scent. I heard them bickering for a bit before I heard Siren sigh faintly through the door. When she said something about a buyer no- her buyer, I was confused. What did it mean? I listened carefully as my mate began to talk.

"As you know, I was one of the first to go. He had wanted me to be his servant to get him drinks or clean the kitchen or whatever. B-But,...after about a week, he...he touched me, Lu. He used me as a play thing while his wife was out of the house. H-He...he ignored my pleas for him to stop...he didn't care about me...I was nothing." As I heard my mate break down crying, I balled my fists. Someone else has touched my mate, let alone used her against her will?! And he was already married?! I did my best to keep myself in place as I listened to my mate crying and her sister shushing her, trying to calm her down. After a while, I heard Siren calm down.

"I hate and fear to ask, but what happened next?" I heard Lupa ask. Siren seemed to pause before she replied.

"W-Well, he had made it a routine to use me whenever his w-wife was out because he knew i-it was wrong and he knew she l-liked me. She actually treated me like a daughter. Though, she was a nurse s-so she had long night shifts which gave him plenty of time to...A-Anyway, this sadly continued for about f-five years before she found o-out...I remember that night clearly." Her voice seemed to change from quiet and scared to a trance-like voice like she was replaying the event in her mind.

"She had forgotten to call to inform him that she was coming home early and caught him trying to push me into a corner, a broken beer bottle in his hand and my face was bleeding due to him breaking the bottle on my head. She screamed and yelled at him. They got into a fight which gave me time to run into a hiding spot. Eventually, she said that she was calling the cops and he snapped. Before she could even grab a phone, he grabbed a nearby lamp and swung it at her, knocking her to the floor." Her voice seemed to grow with the last sentence.

"She screamed and he started hitting her with the lamp. He kept going until you could barely recognize her. And as much as I hate saying this...I snapped too. Daemon and I fused together for the first time and we killed him...we slaughtered him like he was just another creature of prey. After that, I took back control and decided to bury the mother I needed during that time and burned my buyer...Ever since then, I've vowed myself away from males and lived alone for about 9 years...until I met Hunter." I smiled, blushing slightly. I wished I had known earlier. It explains why she was so jumpy all the time and why she refused to be near me when we first met. I decided to leave the door, happy because my mate was safe and finally learning that not everyone was out to hurt her.