Chapter 7: The last hours of the night...

(Siren's POV)

After Hunter introduced me to his pack, I asked him to show me where I would be sleeping for the week. No way in hell was I sleeping in the same room, much less the same bed, with someone I didn't even know. His emotions matched his face of disappointment as he sighed and lead me to a room a few doors down from his on the opposite side. He opened the door and I looked inside. Like his room, it was mainly white and the bed was a mixture of red and white. Unlike his room, a small window sat near the foot of the bed with a small table and chair in front of it. I'll have to move it later. I preferred light to stream into my room. I looked at the bed and noticed the almost clear fabric hanging beside the bed, making it look fancy or royal. I looked at Hunter.

"Thank you." I said kindly. "I'll be in here if you need me." He nodded.

"I'll send my Beta to get you when dinner is ready." he said before closing the door behind him, leaving me alone. I sighed and looked at the room around me. I could escape from here but I either had gotten really lazy or I wanted to live up to my promise to Hunter. I was going for the first option. I looked at the chair and moved it so that the chair was in a corner, then moved the table next to the bed so it could act as a nightstand. It was a little tall but as long as I could reach it fine, I didn't care. I looked outside to see that the sun had fully set and the light of the full moon shone through my open window. I walked to it and opened it so I could let the smell of the forest in. The cold didn't bother me so I just stood there staring at the moon in awe and wonder.

The moon always fascinated me, even as a pup. When I was allowed, I'd run outside and just sit and stare at the moon. In the moonlight, I felt at peace with the world and when I looked around, the world didn't look so bad. It may be the wolf trait in me making me feel like that but I never wanted or needed an explanation. After everything I've been through, I relied on the moon to comfort me. Now, I didn't believe in the moon as a deity but I never saw it as a floating sphere in the sky either. You see, a werewolf's live depends on their belief moon.

For example, for centuries, werewolves have had a weakness or an 'allergy', as I like to call it, to silver. Our reaction to the metal depends on our belief in the moon. If a wolf believed strongly in the moon as a deity, their reaction to pure silver would be painful and possibly deadly, whereas a wolf who didn't believe in the moon that way would wipe it off as a little sting. Wolves who didn't believe in the moon strongly could actually wear silver jewelry for long periods of time before taking it off. I never prayed to the moon but there was the very rare and occasional time I thanked the moon for something positive.

I must have been lost in my thoughts for a long time or the chefs work fast, because after what felt like an hour, I heard a knock on my door. I may have jumped slightly but quickly went to open the door to see a woman a few inches shorter than me standing at the door. She had big black ears. Her clothing was like she had just came from the training grounds so she was probably here during the last few hours of sunlight before coming in and hasn't changed. Her left eye was a nice blue color while her right eye was a light yellow. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hello!" she said, a soft smile on her face. I smiled back.

"Good evening." I said. Her smile grew wider as she looked at me.

"Alpha Hunter wanted me to come get you for dinner!" she said. I nodded and told her to lead the way. She nodded in response and I followed her. We went downstairs and entered a large dining room with multiple tables holding several wolves. Looked more like a canteen or a cafeteria to me, considering how big and spacious everything was. In the back was a table that held the 'important' wolves. Hunter, of course, sat in the middle, eating a chicken leg. I had the delicious smell of cooked chicken hit me before I even entered the area and I loved it! I walked up to the 'buffet', which held different types of foods, like the chicken, hamburgers (with and without cheese), pizza, and some kind of pasta. A slightly beefy man stood behind it and smiled as I approached.

"What can I get you, ma'am?" he asked with a smile, his tail wagging slightly. I chuckled and pointed at the pasta. It had long, skinny noodles with a tomato sauce and meatballs.

"I'm sorry but what is that?" I asked nicely. He looked at the dish and smiled.

"That's called spaghetti, ma'am! Would you like me to make you a plate?" I considered the offer then nodded.

"Yes, please." He nodded and went to work. Not long after, he handed me a plate with the dish and handed me a bottle of water. I thanked him and turned around to look around. The Beta girl had apparently already made her request and sat at the head table chatting and laughing with the other. I saw the Alpha watching me and rolled my eyes as I scanned the rest of the room before spotting an empty table. I walked over there and sat to eat in peace. Everyone in here may have been the same species as me but they weren't my people. My people died long ago and I wasn't about to replace them.

When I took the first bite into the dish, my eyes widen as my tail wagged. It was absolutely delicious! I'm sure I ate quickly, never once looking up at the rest of the wolves, not caring about anything but the food in front of me. It wasn't until I heard a soft chuckle beside me that I froze. I slowly turned my head to see Hunter chilling beside me, watching me with affection. What was it with this guy? My ears went back as I let out a low growl. He put his hands up but didn't back away.

"I'm not here to take your food." he said honestly. I glared at him as I eat, slower this time. He must have finished his meal already cause he didn't seem to have a plate with him. He just sat their and watched me. I didn't say a word as I ate and when I was done, I looked around to see that the other wolves were bringing their dishes to an area stacked with dirty dishes. I walked over to the stack and placed mine with the others before leaving the room, a wave of wariness and tiredness washing over me. When I finally got to my room, I locked the door behind me before crashing onto the bed. I moved my body so that half of it wasn't hanging off the edge and closed my eyes. I didn't even bother with the covers. The cool fall air was still blowing through the window helping me fall asleep, which didn't take long.