Chapter 18: Wings

(Hunter's POV)

The day after the meeting, I informed my Omega border parolees about the things our allies had seen and told them to watch them carefully. They seemed either uneasy about the news or interested by something they had never seen before. I also told Lilith about this and she nodded and told me to be careful if I ever wanted to go for walks in the woods. I simply laughed and told her I would. Siren had slept with me instead of her room the night before but she wasn't by my side in the morning.

I knew she could handle herself and if she needed anything, she would howl for me, so I wasn't too worried. But when it hit around 3:30, I started getting worried. I started asking around the pack house for her but no one had seen her. I even checked with the pups she liked to play with and they hadn't seen her. I went outside and howled as loud as I could. After a few minutes, I heard a howl from the woods. I turned into my wolf and ran in the direction from where the howl came from.

After about a mile or so, I found Siren by the same creek I first met her. She was staring at the water in her wolf form, the sun shining off her thick black fur. I was about to walk up to her but then I noticed scorch marks on the trees around the clearing. I tilted my head before walking up to her. I exhaled sharply when I got close enough to let her to let her know I was behind her. I had learned not to touch her from behind when she had her guard down so we agreed that I would just make a sound for her to notice my presence instead of her almost killing me. Her body flinched slightly but she turned her head to me, her tail wagged a little when she saw me. We turned human and she hugged me gently, her hair not tied up like it usually was. I smiled, happy that she was the one touching me instead of me cautiously trying to even hold her hand. She pulled away, smiling.

"What was with the howl?" she asked. I smiled, wrapping my arms around her waist. She tensed slightly but she relaxed after a bit.

"I was getting worried. I didn't know where you were." She chuckled, blushing slightly with embarrassment.

"Sorry. I woke up early and thought I could come out here to train. I had been out of practice for years now so I thought 'Why not?'" I chuckled.

"You could have trained in the training grounds." She shook her head.

"The training I'm talking about is my demonic training. I'm not ready for the pack to know about my 'passenger'. Plus, I tend to be loud when I train so I didn't want to wake anyone." I smiled and nodded.

"I understand. You can tell them whenever your ready. Plus, I don't mind being awoken by you, Si, but I understand your reasoning." I said and she smiled.

"I was just taking a break. Wanna stuck around to watch?" I smiled and nodded. Her tail wagged more and she pulled away from me. I walked over to a big rock near the creek and sat on it. When I turned to her, my eyes widened at the demon wings now spread out from her back. The bones/ribs of the wings were black while the scaled skin that connected them were a blood red color. White marks and swirls spread across the skin of the wings. At the 'tip' from where the bones split, little white claws stuck out. Small holes were scattered near the rim of the wings. They relaxed and she turned to look at me, her eyes glowing a faint blood red color. Her ears went down slightly.

"D-Do you not like them?" she asked, her voice barely reaching my ears. I quickly got up.

"No no! It's not that! I just wasn't expecting it!" I said quickly. She smiled and chuckled, her ears going back up.

"I guess I would be too if I were you." She turned to a tree that already had several scorch marks on it and lifted her right hand before a ball of flames appeared, hovering above her palm. She looked up and suddenly, she was in the air, her wings flapping to keep her in the air. I watched in awe as she glided through the air with ease, her untied hair flying behind her. She focused in on the tree and threw the fireball at it, hitting the exact area where the burns were. I continued watching her in amazement as she continued for about 15 minutes. After she felt that she was done, she tilted her body and started flying higher. I tilted my head, wondering what she was doing.

She flew up so high, I started getting nervous about how well she could breathe. She stopped suddenly in midair for a bit before her wings relaxed and started diving head first for the ground. My anxiety spiked as I kept thinking that she flew too high and was now unconscious. However, when she was too close to the ground for my liking, she spread her wings and glided just above the forest floor, the biggest smile I've ever seen on her face beaming brightly. My eyes widened in surprise as she glided through the trees around the clearing before heading in my direction and landing gracefully in front of me. She folded her wings and they disappeared. I rushed to her, grabbing her in a hug.

"You almost scared me to death!" I said. I felt her body tighten when I grabbed her but I felt her ears go down and she hugged me back, slightly burying her head in my chest.

"I'm sorry." she said quietly. I noticed the sadness in her voice and I rubbed her back before looking down at her.

"It's ok. You're safe now but I thought you flew too high and you passed out." Her eyes widened, a faint blush quickly settling in her cheeks before looking away, the blush growing more.

"S-Sorry, I just like t-the speed I g-get when I d-do that." I smiled. She was cute when she stuttered. I sighed and kissed her forehead.

"You never cease to amaze me, Si." I said quietly. Her tail started wagging as she buried her head in my chest again, probably to try and hide the blush on her face. I chuckled and rubbed her back, smiling softly down at her. The scent of forest grass and pine filled my nose as I leaned down to kiss her head. I knew it was her scent because it helped relax my somewhat tense nerves. We stayed like this, hugging and enjoying each others scent when we heard the twig snapping not too far away.