Chapter 5: Even demons like to tease

(Siren's POV)

When I said my last name, Hunter's eyes widened. I sensed shock from him and I tilted my head.

"Nightshade? As in the Alpha family of the Blood Moon pack that was wiped out 15 years ago?!" I flinched at my Packs dead name. I took my hand away and looked away, my ears pinned down.

"I don't want to talk about it." I said. I stood up and walked to the closed door before opening it to find an empty hallway. I smelt other wolves but I shrugged it off and walked down the hall to my right, following the scents to a staircase. There was a big opening in front of the stairs and rails that guarded the edge. If you looked over the railing, several wolves mingled and chatted. I took a guess that it was the commons area where everyone gathered to relax. To me, I saw it as an area that was weak. In my opinion, wolves should always be on guard in case an unexpected opponent struck. But then again, there was strength in numbers...and they haven't dealt with my problems. I heard a sigh in my head and my ears went to the side in aggravation.

'What, Daemon?' I asked in my head. Daemon Nocturnem was the name of the demon that lived in my head all my life. If he was real, he would probably be just above six feet. He had a pale pinkish-red color for his skin. He had red and black hair with a white streak in his bangs, black horns with white tips protruding out the sides of his head. He had black wings and tail. He had red eyes with black retinas, orange flames taking the place for his pupils. He would probably be dressed in an airy white shirt with darkish grey fluff on his shoulders to cover the skin. He would probably also pair that shirt with a pair of ripped jeans and a black flannel tied around his waist, black and red shoes covering his feet. I heard him sigh again.

'I'm bored, Si! When can I have some fun?' he asked, his voice whiny. He knew I hated that voice but he also knew I wasn't gonna let him take control. He does this when he wanted attention which doesn't happen as often as one would expect a demon would be. I growled quietly so that no one heard me and moved to a room in case someone saw me just standing there. I found a bathroom and locked the door behind me before whisper-yelling to myself. it was difficult for me to keep a conversation in my head.

"If you think for a moment that I'm gonna let you run around here, you've officially lost your mind!" I whisper-yelled to myself. He chuckled like he was enjoying my anger, which he probably was. He may have changed over the years but a demon is still a demon. It was their nature to mess with people or things.

'Why not? I've been good recently!' he replies. I rolled my eyes.

"When was the last time I let you have control?" I asked quietly. He hummed with thought.

'Several months ago?' he said after a while.

"Yea and what happened when you got out?" I asked like a mother scolding her pups.

'What? A demon has to let off some steam right?' he asked, sounding innocent. I narrowed my eyes at nothing but I knew he was playing my patience.

"A little steam?!" My voice almost went too loud as I started growling. "A 'little steam' doesn't mean set a city on fire!" He laughed.

'I'm sorry! You know how I feel about humans!' he said, still laughing. My ears went down as my hands moved involuntarily to my thighs. He sensed my movement and his laughter stopped. We were silent of a moment until he finally spoke, his voice quieter like he was avoiding the subject I was thinking about.

'So...you trust that Alpha boy? Hunter, was it?' he asked and I could tell that he was truly curious. His voice didn't hold anything that suggested that he was teasing me. I sighed.

"I have trust issues, Daemon. If he wants my trust and..." I paused for a long time before continuing. "...and me, then he'll have to do a lot to earn it. He's male...you know that's a sore spot for me." He sighed in my head.

'Not every man is like him, ok?' Daemon said. My body tensed up at the him in his statement. I knew he was right but old habits are hard to break. I sighed and told him to keep quiet for a while before unlocking the door and leaving the bathroom. I went back to the railing to find Hunter looking and smiling down at the wolves below.

Now that we were both standing, I saw that he was a few inches taller than me and he had quite a build on him. Not that I was checking him out, but it was kinda hard to miss the abs that was showing beneath his new tight white shirt and the short-sleeves helped show off the muscles in his arms. His jeans were loose and free on his legs.

He must have noticed my presence because not long after, he looked at me and smiled. He waved me over, and I hesitantly walked over to him. He offered me his hand but I didn't even look at it. I was willing to play a little cat and mouse to see if he was serious about wanting me as his Alpha female, or Luna in some packs. But deep down, I hoped that the mouse didn't fall for the cat in the end. It was easier to be alone. Yes, it hurt but no one said that the easiest choice was the least painful one.

When I settled by his side, he looked out to the crowd below us. He howled and everyone looked up at him. Immediately, I felt respect and protection from the wolves as they looked at their leader. They cared and loved him and were willing to die for him if it came down to it. Sensing their emotions for their Alpha and seeing the love in their eyes made me think of my father and the pack I grew up in. He was so well loved and admired by many. My ears went back as I thought about him. I never had time to think about my father's death properly and I sure wasn't going to now! Hunter looked at me and tapped my shoulder. My head snapped at him and he nodded slightly at the crowd before turning to them. He straightened and smiled.

"Wolves of the Shadowed Moon pack! We have a special wolf that will be staying for about a week. Please treat her with the respect you always have for each other!" Hunter said, his voice projecting everywhere so that you could make out every word he said. The Omegas nodded and looked at me. They smiled as they bowed slightly to me and I cringed. This was gonna be a long week.