Leaving

In the days that followed, many things happened. A grand ceremonial funeral was held for Commander Madala as well as all others who lost their lives in the attacks. Their bodies were reduced to ash and were poured back into the waters from whence they each Emerged. From water they Emerged, to water they returned so their energies could awaken more Emerged Ansheetans who came to the waters.

When he was feeling better, Merco set to removing the bodies of the mercenaries. He deposited them out in the Wasteland to be buried. Luckily for Merco and his one-armed state, the ship contained some anti-grav movers. Otherwise, he probably couldn't have accomplished the feat.

Anashee was repaired and of course Merco lent his strength to the task; albeit awkward at times with one arm. The Rogashay settlement was also being rebuilt and the warrior clan coalesced once again after the horrific attack. Though many were lost, they persevered.

And whenever he could, Merco was out at the mercenary ship, checking everything to ensure she was flight-worthy. Luckily enough there wasn't much to do other than reconnect a few wires that the Ansheetans tampered with in their previous mission. In fact, all it needed was a pilot and the ship would be off Anshai-tee.

The day before Merco had decided to take off a celebration/farewell party was held in the Anashee valley. Ansheeta from all the bordering lands came from Pela Canyon, the lake town of Trit, and even the Rogashay. It was an event filled with food, drink, and fanciful aerial acrobatics to celebrate the victory and also to bid farewell to the giant alien who came to live on their planet. As Merco sat, surrounded by the crowds and being honored with a speech from the Elder, he noted that Pixie wasn't around. Typically, she'd been so close to him in the days following their victory, but he hadn't seen her since the party began.

Amid the party, the Rogashay leader and his mate approached him. Merco gave him a respectful nod in greeting.

Boroxle had endured a broken arm from his heroic actions but was recovering. With a curt jerk from his back weapon sling he unsheathed an energy spear...or at least half of one. He held it up high to Merco in a "take it" gesture.

Very delicately, Merco took the spear half which wasn't much bigger than a toothpick, "What's this all about?"

"That is for you, Merco." Boroxle stated with importance.

He reached around and withdrew the other half of the spear, "This is what's left of the spear I used in our great battle. It was snapped in half. I want you to have the other half and never forget what you did for my people and for me. I will never forget."

Humbled by the gesture, Merco nodded to him, "I will treasure it, Boroxle. Thank you."

Boroxle saluted him in the Rogashay way and Kriees did the same before speaking, "May you journey safe, Merco."

"Thank you, Emissary."

As it began to get dark and the celebration beginning to wind down, Merco finally stood up and bowed his head to those gathered.

"Tomorrow I will leave Anshai-tee for my home world of Earth. I want to thank the kindnesses and generosity I've been shown by you all and know that without that I probably would not have survived here." He glanced around but still didn't see Pixie, "I wish to keep your peoples and this world a well-guarded secret. Know that I may never return but I hope one day I can return here to visit."

Several whistles filled the air and the crowd gave him room to move as he left the Anashee valley, crossing the farm and river lands for the last time. He turned and surveyed the city, twinkling with lights one last time before heading out for his ship.