Divide and Conquer

Morning...

Traynar was startled awake by a loud mechanical [CLANG!]. His dark iridescent plumage flew up with alarm. It apparently startled the mercenaries too as they both sat up and looked at the ceiling of their ship.

A second [CLANG!] rang out.

Cresh lowered his goggles back down over his four eyes and they activated, "Hm. Think we've got company, Gurt." He smirked, "Perhaps some more of our little friends come to make our hunt easier?"

The scaly behemoth rose up, back spikes rattling with a morning shake. His thick neck rolled a bit making a horrible cracking noise and then he tasted the air.

"Sounds like someone with a death wish." He growled.

"Alive Gurt. We need them alive. Remember... eating our profits is bad for business." Cresh chided, reaching for a couple devices and weapons from the adjacent ship wall. He tossed three purplish black discs the size of coasters to Gurt, "Here. Use those instead of your teeth this time."

The Gret'nal caught the discs in a scaly hand and blinked at them, "Stun disks, huh?"

"Exactly. Just put it to the lowest setting, wide range, throw it and it should stun anything that's moving in front of you. Might make it easier since these little buggers fly." Cresh explained, dialing in his discs' settings.

Traynar watched as the two huge mercenaries seemed to prep themselves. A third [CLANG!] hit the outside of the ship. The tall white mercenary passed his clear box and tapped the top.

"Don't worry little fella...we'll bring you some company."

They lowered the ramp to the ship and disappeared. Traynar could only helplessly watch as they left, leaving him alone and trapped.

...

Cresh scanned the air, his high-tech eye pieces trying to detect the signatures of the little flying creatures. Something was hitting the outside of their ship; rocks from the sound of it. Their small size would make seeing them challenging even with the eye pieces, especially since they were pretty fast.

"Hmm...well where are you?" he murmured, head turning slowly.

Gurt's tongue was flicking, scenting the air.

And then both of them were hit with dozens of little objects that popped loudly upon hitting them in the back and head. Cresh flinched, head ducking down from the sharp noise and mild pain along the bare parts of his head, but Gurt didn't act like he felt anything, merely turning his head toward the loud pops.

"OW! What the-?" Cresh whipped around, catching a brief glimpse of several little figures darting to the topside of their ship.

He grimaced, massaging the back part of his head which procured a bit of his milky pink colored blood, "Why you little... they're throwing grenades!"

"Still don't want me to eat them?" Gurt growled, undeterred by the explosives since his skin was too tough.

Cresh touched his eye pieces, setting them to a different parameter which allowed him to have "eyes" in the back of his head.

"No. Not until we catch a few." He rubbed the blood between his fingers and said slyly. "Just walk that way a bit...when I tell you, turn and throw one of your discs. Let's see if they'll try that little tactic again."

Seeming to pay no mind to the attack the two mercenaries walked away from their ship with Cresh monitoring through his eye pieces. They hadn't taken four steps when suddenly he spotted several signatures appear as bright white lights and shoot toward them.