Meeting the Elder

Once Merco realized he hadn't killed the blue uniformed flier a wave of relief swept over him. Granted, he certainly hurt him after swatting him down. But feeling the trickle of blood running down his neck, Merco considered that a fair recompense for trying to kill him. The injured attacker seemed to be waiting for him to do something. As Merco stared down at him, the little alien looked positively frail laying there, like a bird that flew into a closed window and was too stunned to fly. Despite every attack and attempt on his life Merco didn't feel the need to harm him further. He had bloody injuries all down body that stained his gray shirt, but none were lethal. He didn't need to add the blood of these aliens to it.

Traynar appeared from the trees with a marked limp in his gait. He was talking to the fallen flier. Their tones reflected a standoffishness to one another. The blue uniformed flier made a sharp whistle and Merco's eyes roved around him, recognizing that to be their call to attack. But nothing happened. It was in that moment that Merco realized this injured flier was the leader; he had been the one calling the shots. He held a bit of respect for the little guy. It took a lot of guts to lead an attack on something as big as him. However, it didn't mean he felt the need to help him either.

When no attack happened, Merco offered his hand to Traynar and then to Pixie whom was still next to him. Both of his friends in hand, Merco stood and began walking away from the lake. He found his leather jacket not far away and scooped it up, draping it over his shoulder. But the action made his injuries apparent. Though the injuries he sustained were not life-threatening he was aching all over. He felt like he'd just rolled in a bed of needles and some of them were still in him. Every muscle movement flamed up that uncomfortable sting.

His mind began to wander as he walked, "This really hasn't been your week Merco. You've been dumped on an alien world with a bunch of flying Lilliputians. You almost died of sepsis. You're full of holes and shrapnel from the locals. And on top of that...you don't have a change of clothes."

A gentle tapping on his palm made him look down. Pixie pointed to the ground and called out to someone. Merco looked down and behind him to see another green skinned alien, dressed in a maroon jump suits. He was a bit suspicious at first, but Pixie seemed to know him.

...

"Hey! Wait!" Verin's voice faintly rang out from somewhere below.

Seraysa peeked over the edge of Merco's hand to his right and saw her brother up against a tree. He'd been absent for the whole battle, but it appeared he'd finally caught up. It didn't appear that Merco heard him, so she patted his palm to get his attention. She pointed down at Verin.

"Verin! Where were you?"

"Seraysa?" he sounded and looked shocked, "I-I was hiding when I heard the noise. Is it over? Did he...did he kill them?" her brother sounded uneasy as he cautiously crept away from the tree.

Seraysa pointed down again and Merco responded by lowering his hand to the ground, "Yes it's over...and no, he didn't kill anyone. Come on!" she gestured for him to come over.

Verin surveyed the massive hand a second, looked up at Merco, and swallowed visibly, "I...are-are you sure?"

Seraysa climbed off of Merco's hand, walked up to her brother, took his arm, and then turned to Merco.

She touched her brother's chest, "Verin."

"Hello, Verin." Merco greeted.

Seraysa's brother put a hand to his chest, feeling his ribs vibrate when Merco spoke.

She pulled him close to show he was a friend and then tugged him with her, "Come on, Verin."

Though tentative, he followed her lead. When they were next to Merco's hand Verin's expression shifted from fear, to uncertainty, and then to utter awe. Seraysa stepped up and sat comfortably. Verin was still cautious. Cautiously, he touched Merco's skin and jerked back. His eyes were locked on the giant alien's just to make sure he wasn't making a terrible mistake. But there was no malice in Merco's eyes, just curiosity and patience. Taking a notable breath, Verin touched him again but didn't jerk this time. Slowly, he climbed onto the gigantic hand and staggered; his feet unsure about the solid yet spongy surface.