Fall

Later in the forest...

Seraysa and Verin ran through the trees. It was apparent to both of them that they were running out of energy and this second day of traveling felt far less productive than the first because of that. Seraysa was of course determined to press on but Verin had to stop.

"Seraysa! I can't go anymore. I need a break!" Verin gasped, leaning against a tree.

The lavender female stopped for her brother, "We don't have time to stop!"

Verin put his back to the tree, heaving, "I can't. I can't..."

It was then Verin felt a subtle vibration through the tree he was leaning on. His eyes opened and he stared behind him at the tree as if it had changed into something completely weird. Then he felt it again, very slight.

"Do you feel that?" he asked.

Seraysa moved closer giving him a puzzled look. He took her hand and touched it to the tree trunk.

She felt two separate vibrations and cried out, "That's him! That's him!"

Before Verin could react, his sister flew up higher and higher until she was over the tops of the trees. She strained, exhausted from the feat, but tried desperately to see if she could spot Merco. Finally, she couldn't hold her hover anymore and had to land on the tallest branch to rest. Though she could feel the vibrations of Merco's steps, they felt far away. She gripped the top part of the tree, scanning the horizons.

"See anything?" Verin shouted up to her.

Her eyes lit up with excitement when she saw the unmistakable silhouette off in the distance.

"MERCO!" she shouted as loudly as she could.

But he was too far to hear her.

"You see him?" Verin confirmed.

Closing her eyes and focusing, Seraysa floated back down to the ground, "Yes! He's that way! Come on!"

She was already running and Verin looked skyward with a gasp of fatigue. But he followed.

...

Anashee Lake...

Coroc's squadron had flown around the first and largest parts of Anashee Lake. They discovered the "campsite" quickly, but the giant alien was absent. They began following the enormous tracks and broken trees that pointed to where he had been.

It wasn't until someone bolted across the sky shouting, "IT'S COMING! IT'S COMING! OVER THERE!"

Immediately, the word spread across the forces and they began to coalesce. Coroc flew into the air, sighting the tremendous form heading closer to the furthest end of the lake from the north side. He had hoped to catch the behemoth sleeping beside the lake. It would've been so much easier. Awake and alert...this was more challenging. The seasoned combatant knew if his plan were to succeed, everything would have to fall into place exactly. He studied the direction and turned to his gathered forces.

"It's heading back to the lake. Squadron One you will take position on its right. Squadron Two to the left. My team will take the forward position. Put on your ventilators when you're in position and ready your pouches. Do not attack until you see me. Aim for the face. He's got to breath the powder for it to work." he ordered. "Any questions?"

Hitalel spoke, "What do we do when it's down?"

"Stay back and my Squadron will do the rest." Coroc assured. "Don't forget, we are doing this to free Anashee! We cannot fail!"